Do I have a Chubbsy Wubbsy?

caldigger

Found within two feet of my other Megalodon tooth.

Temblor Formation, mid. Miocene, Bakersfield, California

20190118_200237.jpg

20190118_194904.jpg

20190118_194931.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Have heard small megs can have cusps.

@MarcoSr, @siteseer

I would also tag @Al Dente, but he never answers My tags.

Tony

My sons and I find pristine chubutensis (?) along with pristine megalodons in several mid-Miocene formations in Virginia so the chubutensis (?) are not reworked from older formations and there are not older Miocene formations at the sites.  The chubutensis (?) tend to be small.  The two possibilities are that these teeth are juvenile megalodons showing ancestral tooth cusps or that a population of chubutensis survived and co-existed with megalodons for a period of time in the Miocene.  The tooth in this post based upon the cusp tooth feature looks like what I would call a chubutensis.  I'm not familiar with that formation in California.  But it could be similar to what I and my sons see in Virginia.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

In his book, "Megalodon, Hunting the Hunter", Mark Renz has caption under a chubutensis that says the age is Mid-Miocene. The other "Chub" tooth he shows says it is of the Early Miocene. To my newbie mind, that would seem to indicate that there's a decent chance that caldigger's tooth is a chubutensis. But it is interesting that I hadn't heard of one being pulled out of STH before.

I also remember reading in Renz' book, that there weren't very many sites around where you'd actually find fossil teeth from juvenile Megs. Again, according to Mark Renz, there just weren't many places where a Meg could safely give birth without them being instantly ingested by another Meg, or other toothy beast. 

Very cool find, caldigger. I'll be interested to hear from some of the folks who were digging the area back when Bob Ernst was. They should know the odds of finding a Chub in, or around, STH. Congrat's. :popcorn:

I don't recall having seen a chubutensis displayed when I was at the Buena Vista Museum a couple of months back. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, but I think I would have remembered it. Maybe I'll stop in there again soon and take a look-see.

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

Found within two feet of my other Megalodon tooth.

Temblor Formation, mid. Miocene, Bakersfield, California

Is this Temblor Formation or Round Mountain Silt? The elasmo website has a Shark Tooth Hill page that originally had chubutensis listed along with some other teeth that didn’t belong but later crossed it out. 

I’ve collected a lot from the Miocene Pungo River Formation. If the publications I’ve looked at are correct, the upper part of the Pungo River is the same age as the Round Mountain Silt but most teeth found in the Pungo have cusps while most in the Round Mountain Silt don’t. That’s confusing if this is truly a chronospecies.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

I would also tag @Al Dente, but he never answers My tags.

I try to answer them but sometimes I forget, other times I have no answer.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I try to answer them but sometimes I forget, other times I have no answer.

No offence intended Sir.

I do the same thing.

I still respect Your opinions and comments.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.