Ordovician Brachiopod hashplate id?

Recker

I love prepping with pins as well.:)

It's amazing the results one can achieve with a little patience. 

Plus 1 for Cincinnetina meeki. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 1/21/2019 at 12:03 AM, Plantguy said:

Looks cool. take your time...thats one of the lessons I learned aside from wearing safety glasses and using magnification and not doing prepwork on the kitchen table. 

So here's the plate I have. I did live in Louisville for a time and did some collecting around there but this was purely an impulse buy. I cant take credit for finding it, nor prepping it--someone else gets all that credit. Just thought it was cool with the brachs and other small bits of trilobites, bryozoans and crinoids and I was using it and other examples to teach scouts about geology/fossils. 

Waynesville Formation, Ordovician, St. Leon, Indiana

@Herb @Peat Burns What do you all think...Mostly Cincinnetina meeki ? and possibly others? 

Regards, Chris 

Lovely hash! :wub:

Cincinnetina meeki, Glyptorthis insculpta, some of the smaller ones may even be Pionedema and I agree with Plaesiomys subquadrata, too. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love prepping with pins as well.:)

It's amazing the results one can achieve with a little patience. 

Plus 1 for Cincinnetina meeki. 

Thanks Tidgy's Dad, glad to know you peck away with a pin as well LOL.  I did order a pin vise as someone on the forum recommended, should get here tomorrow! 

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Recker said:

Thanks Tidgy's Dad, glad to know you peck away with a pin as well LOL.  I did order a pin vise as someone on the forum recommended, should get here tomorrow! 

Yes, I do use a pin vice as well. Still pins, but you'll find it an extremely useful addition to your prepping toolkit. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

It is really hard to ID the smaller Cincinnatian brachiopods with the inside of the shells showing the muscle scars.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 hours ago, Herb said:

It is really hard to ID the smaller Cincinnatian brachiopods with the inside of the shells showing the muscle scars.

+1 for the value of internal features and interarea for ID! 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, Peat Burns said:

Dalmanella meeki is now Cincinnetina meeki (which is what I think the OP has).

I understood that it is now called Resserella meeki. Also was called Orthis meeki.  No wonder I have such trouble IDing brachiopods!! I know the professionals change names frequently but the question is WHY!!!!!!! Did this brachiopod need to move to a different genus, or did all Dalmanella species just change their genus name? Its almost as frustrating as demoting Pluto from planethood!!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I understood that it is now called Resserella meeki. Also was called Orthis meeki.  No wonder I have such trouble IDing brachiopods!! I know the professionals change names frequently but the question is WHY!!!!!!! Did this brachiopod need to move to a different genus, or did all Dalmanella species just change their genus name? Its almost as frustrating as demoting Pluto from planethood!!!!!!!

Fossilworks has it as Cincinnetina meeki and has Resserella as a former name.  Where did you see that it is now Resserella?

The updated naming is very annoying, I know.  I've devoted so much 'brain space' to names that are no longer in use.  It is usually based on progress in our understanding of evolutionary phylogeny (i.e. relative relatedness).  Necessary and indicative of new investigation and understanding, but admittedly "annoying" with regard to updating names in our brains :).  The older one gets, the worse it is.  A lot of the names I learned in the 80s aren't recognized anymore.  Unless one specializes in a particular group, it's hard to keep up!

The genus Dalmanella is still a valid genus.  Cincinnetina was erected because it was different enough to warrant being classified as a separate genus within the same family Dalmanellidae.

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Fossilworks has it as Cincinnetina meeki and has Resserella as a former name.  Where did you see that it is now Resserella?

The updated naming is very annoying, I know.  I've devoted so much 'brain space' to names that are no longer in use.  It is usually based on progress in our understanding of evolutionary phylogeny (i.e. relative relatedness).  Necessary and indicative of new investigation and understanding, but admittedly "annoying" with regard to updating names in our brains :).  The older one gets, the worse it is.  A lot of the names I learned in the 80s aren't recognized anymore.  Unless one specializes in a particular group, it's hard to keep up!

The genus Dalmanella is still a valid genus.  Cincinnetina was erected because it was different enough to warrant being classified as a separate genus within the same family Dalmanellidae.

I have also tried to point out to new collectors who get flustered by these changes that it isn't always easy to keep up with new or re-assigned genera. But if they have been able to identify the specimen to species then the old name is still perfectly fine for most purposes. Cincinnetina meeki is exactly the same animal as Resserella meeki. In other words, an old species name is not incorrect, it is only out of date. 

Anyone who has spent time using Index Fossils of North America or similar references to ID specimens will have noticed that invariably the type species for the genus has a completely different generic name. 

• I found this Informative 4

17 hours ago, erose said:

Index Fossils of North America

Looked at the pdf and it is very helpful to beginners like me. Never knew it existed. Just skimming it, I have seen a possible ID on something that wasn't worth posting but had my curiosity up. Will have to check it out! Thanks @erose. Is there any updated versions from the 1944 edition?

16 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Looked at the pdf and it is very helpful to beginners like me. Never knew it existed. Just skimming it, I have seen a possible ID on something that wasn't worth posting but had my curiosity up. Will have to check it out! Thanks @erose. Is there any updated versions from the 1944 edition?

Never seen an update. And the 1944 version was an update of an earlier version. But for the most part it is still the go to reference for me as the species names are still all valid.

Wanted to post an update.  My first attempt at prepping, I've been using a needle and pin vise.  It's getting there slowly but surely!

50687285_1116691541847250_2158057080093671424_n.jpg

51014081_1012880088898111_3148099285803859968_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

On 1/25/2019 at 11:30 PM, Recker said:

Wanted to post an update.  

50687285_1116691541847250_2158057080093671424_n.jpg

Siskel and Ebert: :dinothumb::dinothumb:

Nice job.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am a bit of an Cincinnatian brachiopod nerd and I believe the brachs are a more unusual species called Heterothina. I hope this helps.

Dan

11 hours ago, danzimmerman said:

Hello,

I am a bit of an Cincinnatian brachiopod nerd and I believe the brachs are a more unusual species called Heterothina. I hope this helps.

Dan

I'd be interested to know about how you came to that conclusion. I'm always trying to learn more about the fossils from the Cincinnattian. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I have been collecting Cincinnatian fossils for over 35 years and specialized in brachiopods. I have spent time in museum collections and with old timers to learn the different species. This particular species was shown to me by Steve Felton a now deceased fossil legend in Ohio. I have some of these and they just have a different plication setup than other close species. Below is a specimen from my collection,

5e2f1c8f0b35a_Heterorthinamacfarlani(2).jpg.39a5e0d74cd4baccd0452c47522e343d.jpgs.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, danzimmerman said:

I have been collecting Cincinnatian fossils for over 35 years and specialized in brachiopods. I have spent time in museum collections and with old timers to learn the different species. This particular species was shown to me by Steve Felton a now deceased fossil legend in Ohio. I have some of these and they just have a different plication setup than other close species. Below is a specimen from my collection,

5e2f1c8f0b35a_Heterorthinamacfarlani(2).jpg.39a5e0d74cd4baccd0452c47522e343d.jpgs.

Interesting. Do you have any papers that describe the species? I'd like to examine any specimens I have to try and do some sorting. If it's down to plication arrangements I'm sure there would be an illustration showing the differences.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I found a paper that changed the Cincinnatian 'Dalmanella' to Cincinnetina: J. Jin. 2012. Cincinnetina, a new Late Ordovician dalmanellid brachiopod from the Cincinnati type area, USA: implications for the evolution and palaeogeography of the epicontinental fauna of Laurentia. Palaeontology 55(1):205-228

Def. need to read this up.

-Dave

It isn't a good idea to write your clicable email on a forum. It will be retrieved quickly by a bunch of robots and you will be invaded with spams. You have to write it like this dzcdc-at-yahoo.com

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Another clue is the byfrication on the plications. If you loo closely at the original specimen in question, it has them.