Recker

Ordovician Brachiopod hashplate id?

Tidgy's Dad

I love prepping with pins as well.:)

It's amazing the results one can achieve with a little patience. 

Plus 1 for Cincinnetina meeki. 

Tidgy's Dad
On 1/21/2019 at 12:03 AM, Plantguy said:

Looks cool. take your time...thats one of the lessons I learned aside from wearing safety glasses and using magnification and not doing prepwork on the kitchen table. 

So here's the plate I have. I did live in Louisville for a time and did some collecting around there but this was purely an impulse buy. I cant take credit for finding it, nor prepping it--someone else gets all that credit. Just thought it was cool with the brachs and other small bits of trilobites, bryozoans and crinoids and I was using it and other examples to teach scouts about geology/fossils. 

Waynesville Formation, Ordovician, St. Leon, Indiana

@Herb @Peat Burns What do you all think...Mostly Cincinnetina meeki ? and possibly others? 

Regards, Chris 

Lovely hash! :wub:

Cincinnetina meeki, Glyptorthis insculpta, some of the smaller ones may even be Pionedema and I agree with Plaesiomys subquadrata, too. 

Recker
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I love prepping with pins as well.:)

It's amazing the results one can achieve with a little patience. 

Plus 1 for Cincinnetina meeki. 

Thanks Tidgy's Dad, glad to know you peck away with a pin as well LOL.  I did order a pin vise as someone on the forum recommended, should get here tomorrow! 

Tidgy's Dad
7 minutes ago, Recker said:

Thanks Tidgy's Dad, glad to know you peck away with a pin as well LOL.  I did order a pin vise as someone on the forum recommended, should get here tomorrow! 

Yes, I do use a pin vice as well. Still pins, but you'll find it an extremely useful addition to your prepping toolkit. :)

Herb

It is really hard to ID the smaller Cincinnatian brachiopods with the inside of the shells showing the muscle scars.

Peat Burns
3 hours ago, Herb said:

It is really hard to ID the smaller Cincinnatian brachiopods with the inside of the shells showing the muscle scars.

+1 for the value of internal features and interarea for ID! 

minnbuckeye
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, Peat Burns said:

Dalmanella meeki is now Cincinnetina meeki (which is what I think the OP has).

I understood that it is now called Resserella meeki. Also was called Orthis meeki.  No wonder I have such trouble IDing brachiopods!! I know the professionals change names frequently but the question is WHY!!!!!!! Did this brachiopod need to move to a different genus, or did all Dalmanella species just change their genus name? Its almost as frustrating as demoting Pluto from planethood!!!!!!!

Peat Burns
29 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I understood that it is now called Resserella meeki. Also was called Orthis meeki.  No wonder I have such trouble IDing brachiopods!! I know the professionals change names frequently but the question is WHY!!!!!!! Did this brachiopod need to move to a different genus, or did all Dalmanella species just change their genus name? Its almost as frustrating as demoting Pluto from planethood!!!!!!!

Fossilworks has it as Cincinnetina meeki and has Resserella as a former name.  Where did you see that it is now Resserella?

The updated naming is very annoying, I know.  I've devoted so much 'brain space' to names that are no longer in use.  It is usually based on progress in our understanding of evolutionary phylogeny (i.e. relative relatedness).  Necessary and indicative of new investigation and understanding, but admittedly "annoying" with regard to updating names in our brains :).  The older one gets, the worse it is.  A lot of the names I learned in the 80s aren't recognized anymore.  Unless one specializes in a particular group, it's hard to keep up!

The genus Dalmanella is still a valid genus.  Cincinnetina was erected because it was different enough to warrant being classified as a separate genus within the same family Dalmanellidae.

minnbuckeye

@Peat Burns Thanks!! Just venting a  little.

minnbuckeye
17 hours ago, erose said:

Index Fossils of North America

Looked at the pdf and it is very helpful to beginners like me. Never knew it existed. Just skimming it, I have seen a possible ID on something that wasn't worth posting but had my curiosity up. Will have to check it out! Thanks @erose. Is there any updated versions from the 1944 edition?

erose
16 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Looked at the pdf and it is very helpful to beginners like me. Never knew it existed. Just skimming it, I have seen a possible ID on something that wasn't worth posting but had my curiosity up. Will have to check it out! Thanks @erose. Is there any updated versions from the 1944 edition?

Never seen an update. And the 1944 version was an update of an earlier version. But for the most part it is still the go to reference for me as the species names are still all valid.

Recker

Wanted to post an update.  My first attempt at prepping, I've been using a needle and pin vise.  It's getting there slowly but surely!

50687285_1116691541847250_2158057080093671424_n.jpg

51014081_1012880088898111_3148099285803859968_n.jpg

Ludwigia

Looks to be coming along just fine!

Peat Burns
11 hours ago, Recker said:

Wanted to post an update.  

50687285_1116691541847250_2158057080093671424_n.jpg

Siskel and Ebert: :dinothumb::dinothumb:

Nice job.