Cretaceous/More recent NJ Bone- Reptile/Mammal femur or acetabulum?

Krystal

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to this forum and have been fossil hunting for a few seasons. I'm certain I've run into a few of you in the NJ brooks, since some have mentioned checking out this forum :). I'm hoping to be more active on this forum!

A few months ago I found this fossilized bone on a gravel bank. Based on the concave end, I can only surmise that it is a distal femur or acetabulum.

Thanks for any and all input!

Krystal

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Are you sure it is Cretaceous? The preservation looks more recent, i would guess mammalian (admittedly i am not very familiar with the fossil bones from this site). 

But i would agree with pelvic acetabulum. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• Krystal changed the title to Cretaceous/More recent NJ Bone- Reptile femur or acetabulum?

@Paleoworld-101  Good point and observation, I have no evidence for Cretaceous/reptilian! It could certainly be a more recent time period (I updated the title as such).

Edited by Krystal

• Krystal changed the title to Cretaceous/More recent NJ Bone- Reptile/Mammal femur or acetabulum?

It is a piece of slag.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

38 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It is a piece of slag.

Slag? 

Bone texture is clearly present in the last picture. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

52 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It is a piece of slag.

Does not look like any slag I have seen.

Agree with it looking like a bone.

Maybe @Harry Pristis can help.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Slag? 

Bone texture is clearly present in the last picture. 

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Does not look like any slag I have seen.

Agree with it looking like a bone.

Maybe @Harry Pristis can help.

I am 100% sure it’s a concretion/slag. The other pictures show no sign of bone structure and the last pic is very uneven in terms of “structure.” It also doesn’t have the right shape.

Even if it was a bone it would have to be modern.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like a piece of a turtle pelvis that includes the acetabulum and posterior iliac process. I agree with Paleoworld that it looks more recent than the Cretaceous.  

2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I am 100% sure it’s a concretion/slag. The other pictures show no sign of bone structure and the last pic is very uneven in terms of “structure.” It also doesn’t have the right shape.

In addition to the last picture, i can also see bone texture on another edge from the opposite side. 

bone texture.png

That's bone. I would like to say its reptile but I cannot tell. The bone looks similar in texture to some of my finds. Can you take some really close up pictures of the texture? Right now I cannot tell if the bone is Pleistocene or Cretaceous, but I think it is a phalanx bone from some species of mosasaur. Either way, nice find. @non-remanié

: )

Hi all,

Wow, thanks so much for all of your thoughts. Here are a few zoomed in images, to the best of my ability. I also believe it shows bone texture. There is a lot of matrix strongly attached to it, which makes it difficult to show much of the texture.

I originally suspected an acetabulum and anterior superior iliac spine, but the orientation of the possible acetabulum nodule (divot in the concave impression) relative to the rest of it throws me off. Also, it is very three dimensional, and I expected this part of a pelvic girdle to be a little flatter. At the same time, I have nothing in-hand to compare this to, so a pelvis may just as well be like this. Phalanx is also an interesting possibility that I will have to look into.

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

Edited by Krystal

color may be throwing off judgement towards recent but there are weathered cretaceous sections with this bone color. I can't think of a recent or fossil mammal bone with so little porous center and so much solid exterior bone. This is just a judgment call and am not 100% sure of anything.

• I found this Informative 2

My first guess would be recent or Pleistocene in age. But I have also seen some of  the dinosaur material in the MAPS collection and it has a similar color. Remember some the first dino material found in North America came out of those Jersey streams.

Also, I have found my share of slag and weird concretions, but I do think this is something else.

2 cents

• 11 months later...

I got to change my view on this, that’s definitely bone. Very interesting one actually. The coloration simply looks similar to a lot of the slag in the area. It is probably a shoulder or pelvic girdle from a turtle.

There is matrix sticking to it, probably Wenonah formation.