Otodus vertebrae

rebu

This week I willl be collecting these Otodus Obliquus vertebrae cluster. It's from Morocco and the size is about 65x30cm, there is 24 vertebrae and the biggest one is around 7cm diameter. There is still lots of matrix on the vertebrae so I was planning to finish cleaning it all. I will like your opinion on this. Should I do it, how difficult is it going to be? I like it the way it is already but I am sure it can be finished better. Is it worth trying?

20190119_211330.jpg

20190119_211319.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

I don't have any prepping advise, but just wanted to to say that is a cool cluster of vertibrea.

Thank you, I also think so. I think I will just try to clean it up property, just scared of it a bit. Don't want to screw this up.

If the vertebrae are not that stable you can always stabilize them first with a consolidant or glue that can be removed with acetone. 

The vertebra around here are generally very stable. You may come across other fossils that may be cool to leave in place for association as you prep. That is one question you have to decide as you prep. To remove or not remove. I get hung up on that question at times. The other fossil may be so cool, but if I’m going for esthetics then I have to remove the other fossils sometimes.

I know what you mean about not wanting to ruin it. I found a bison skeleton last week with the skull. I’ve been waiting for my butvar76 to arrive so I can begin the prep. I won’t touch it until I can stabilize it.

37 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Maybe just gently pick at the matrix with a needle or a dental pick.

Thank you for the advice, I think this is exactly what I am going to do. Will start this way and see how it goes.

45 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

If the vertebrae are not that stable you can always stabilize them first with a consolidant or glue that can be removed with acetone. 

The vertebra around here are generally very stable. You may come across other fossils that may be cool to leave in place for association as you prep. That is one question you have to decide as you prep. To remove or not remove. I get hung up on that question at times. The other fossil may be so cool, but if I’m going for esthetics then I have to remove the other fossils sometimes.

I know what you mean about not wanting to ruin it. I found a bison skeleton last week with the skull. I’ve been waiting for my butvar76 to arrive so I can begin the prep. I won’t touch it until I can stabilize it.

Thank you Kim, I will see when I start if I need to stabilize it. You are absolutely right about the other fossils around the vertebrae, there are many there. I will love to actually expose some of them if possible. Difficult part I think is going to be to decide which ones. When I bring it home I will take better quality photos and post them again for more advice. Good luck with your bison. Did you found a complete skeleton?

That's a neat looking group. I probably wouldn't fully remove them from the matrix as that does have a nice look to it.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Those verts likely are very fragile. I tried to prep one out of a matrix chunk and it basically crumbled when I attempted this.

I wouldn't attempt it, but you may have better results than I did.

7 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

That's a neat looking group. I probably wouldn't fully remove them from the matrix as that does have a nice look to it.

Thanks Fossil-Hound, I love it like it is in the cluster and I don't want to remove any of the vertebrae. I will just try to clean it little more and leave it as is.

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Those verts likely are very fragile. I tried to prep one out of a matrix chunk and it basically crumbled when I attempted this.

I wouldn't attempt it, but you may have better results than I did.

Yes I think it will be fragile I just want to clean it up. I am just worried about the thin lines on the side of the vertebrae, this is the place where it will make a big difference if it was clean. I will see when I start how it goes, I am not confident at all to do anything on it so good chance is that I will leave it on the end as is. Thanks for your reply :)