Dino9876

Hello guys,

I have bought this theropod tooth, but I´m not sure about the ID.

The tooth is 9mm in lenght and was found in the Judith River Formation.

I hope, that you can help me!

Kind regards from Germany!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

Leaning towards indeterminate dromaeosaur tooth, but we'd need more pictures to get a more precise ID :) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Tyrannosaur teeth from Campanian deposits (Judith river, Two medicine, some Canadian formations) cannot be identified beyond Tyrannosauridae indet. There were at least 2 genera in that time period - Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus and their teeth are practically identical (in case of Judith river - no tyrannosaurs were formally described from there although Gorgosaurus and Daspletosaurus are known from Canada and Montana at that time).

Could be a indeterminate dromaeosaur tooth but not too sure as hard to tell from the condition of the tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

It's hard to tell based on the preservation quality but based on the size I would agree it's some variety of dromaeosaurid but may be a small tyrannosaurid tooth. Tough to be sure. If you could get a photo of the bases that would help.

10 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

It's hard to tell based on the preservation quality but based on the size I would agree it's some variety of dromaeosaurid but may be a small tyrannosaurid tooth. Tough to be sure. If you could get a photo of the bases that would help.

I will send a third photo, if the tooth is arrived ;)

Preservation is not adequate to try to identify the tooth.  Nothing that is diagnostic to a family group is visible.    Its best called "Theropod indet."

Don’t think you can identify it further than Theropod. Too poor of preservation to say if it’s raptor or Tyrannosaur.

I agree with Theropod indet. However, the size and shape lend itself to dromaeosaurid. I’ve been zooming in on the pics and I think I see some denticles on the posterior carina and none on the anterior, but this could be due to wear. Some Saurornitholestine teeth lack anterior serrations, so it’s possible it could be from that genus. I’m just thinking out loud and this is speculation, as I think the tooth is too worn to assign to any family. So after rambling, I think Theropod indet is appropriate.  Any Judith River tooth is cool though!

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, mburkett said:

I agree with Theropod indet. However, the size and shape lend itself to dromaeosaurid. I’ve been zooming in on the pics and I think I see some denticles on the posterior carina and none on the anterior, but this could be due to wear. Some Saurornitholestine teeth lack anterior serrations, so it’s possible it could be from that genus. I’m just thinking out loud and this is speculation, as I think the tooth is too worn to assign to any family. So after rambling, I think Theropod indet is appropriate.  Any Judith River tooth is cool though!

Thank you ;-)