Kato

On 2/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, ynot said:

This looks like the green is an encrusting mineral on the white mineral, possibly glauconite.

I wonder if the white mineral is calcite. Can You do an acid test on it? (Same for the "brown" mineral.)

Hi @ynot

I wanted you to know...since you had been thinking glauconite earlier, that I have found another formation containing plant material. This formation is about 15 vertical feet above my last finds and is glauconite sandstone. It is still in the lower Pennsylvanian Gobbler formation (barely).

Here is a sample from that formation. Very little quartz crystallization on specimens in this formation. What little there is is very dark brown to black. Lots of black hematite spheres mixed in. This specimen is about 12" long and 6" wide.

image.thumb.png.3117d6a1537e8df53aee1ffb812dda0e.png

Lots of miscellaneous plant life mixed into the latest formation. The shard on the lower left has me thinking some kind of fern.

image.thumb.png.f2b77a1f14c399263aceec2897674b23.png

Dimension of each individual trace shape is approx 4mm x 8mm. Each pair is approximately 9mm x 8mm. Distance between each pair is 15mm.

image.png.0f4ee8b9ab452c937a6c8d4330a861ff.png

4 hours ago, Kato said:

Lots of miscellaneous plant life mixed into the latest formation. The shard on the lower left has me thinking some kind of fern.

That is cool!

Bet Ya find some great pieces there.:thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 minutes ago, ynot said:

That is cool!

Bet Ya find some great pieces there.:thumbsu:

Well, I did find this nice specimen in the same formation as the interesting shard. This specimen is not particularly colorful but is about 14" long and 6-7" thick. I believe it might have a selenite coating on it. It was toward the top of the formation which seems to be overlayed with a soft powdery layer several inches thick.

image.png.7a0821ff0b2d2e203d9b51c3c387f8cf.png

This is one of several found in the glauconite sandstone, a 12 foot long specimen over 24" wide on the far end. 

image.png.2d5f9a73bf764f4949de450f402edd3d.png

Just started exploring that area and hope to find the limits before it starts heating up too much here and curtailing my exploring.