Pamar

I was given this Megalodon tooth that comes in just under 2”. It was found along Cape Towns West Coast and will make a nice addition to my own finds.

regards Pamar.3A8AE963-1AC1-4793-A958-94D858A9F451.thumb.jpeg.d7674dcdb4cdb009afc79cf679337b2e.jpeg

I believed the root to be broken but noticed two symmetrical dimples on the top - I haven’t seen this on meg teeth before does anyone know what they are?98D50A23-45CF-483F-824B-C4132BCE6264.thumb.jpeg.c864cf3bea2045884643c17addbc44d2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Nice. It has better colors than most I have seen. I recently purchased a great white from that area that measures 2 7/8 inches.

• I found this Informative 2

25 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

Nice. It has better colors than most I have seen. I recently purchased a great white from that area that measures 2 7/8 inches.

The colours can vary greatly from orange to this blueish gray to jet black all on the same stretch of beach. I would love to see that Great White, I’ve found a few nice examples but none that size and complete.

3 hours ago, PaleoRon said:

Here it is

SA CC 1.jpg

:wub:  who couldn't have a crush on that?!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Two gorgeous teeth! Wow!

Pamar, I don't think your tooth is broken, but I do think the root is very heavily worn down. Perhaps both root tips were exposed to more erosion than the rest of the tooth, making those two tips much more worn than the rest, which would explain why it still looks symmetrical. Just a theory though...

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 21/01/2019 at 7:25 PM, Max-fossils said:

Two gorgeous teeth! Wow!

Pamar, I don't think your tooth is broken, but I do think the root is very heavily worn down. Perhaps both root tips were exposed to more erosion than the rest of the tooth, making those two tips much more worn than the rest, which would explain why it still looks symmetrical. Just a theory though...

Thanks for the input.