What the heck is this?

Jz245

My wife got me into tooth hunting and after several years visiting coastal beaches in South Carolina and Georgia we set our sights on bigger finds. Over the past few months we have been going to the Savannah River with numerous finds like Megs, giant makos, great whites, pygmy sperm whale teeth and unidentifiable bone fragments. Looking forward to help from the group from time to time. 

Attached is One of Saturday a finds. any idea what it is?

IMG_20190120_181528.jpg

IMG_20190120_181648.jpg

IMG_20190120_181626.jpg

Edited by Jz245

Hi There, we get these on the site from time to time .. and I will find them in the same area on occasion.  It is a portion (yours is a bit worn) of a fish skull.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. I'll find those posts in a bit.

16 minutes ago, Jz245 said:

My wife got me into tooth hunting and after several years visiting coastal beaches in South Carolina and Georgia we set our sights on bigger finds. Over the past few months we have been going to the Savannah River with numerous finds like Megs, giant makos, great whites, pygmy sperm whale teeth and unidentifiable bone fragments. Looking forward to help from the group from time to time. 

Attached is One of Saturday a finds. any idea what it is?

Ahh .. found it. Thanks of course to the detective work of @Al Dente and @Harry Pristis

• I found this Informative 1

I like your tags “notameg”:ighappy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thanks for the help!! Fossils have become just as much of a delight for us well mainly me, as finding big shark teeth. We are still looking for the elusive 5+ inch complete meg. Many of the fossils are too broken up from time and dredging to identify and leave me pretending they are from sperm whales or mammoths.