Display stands

Bobby Rico

Hi all 

I been playing around with the idea of a mini museum. When I see a really cool mounted skelton I always like it when the museum adds a little model or diorama next to it to give your an idea of the animals look and their landscape. I thought I would like to add this idea to a stand for a fossil. 

I choose my tip of a tusk from a straight tusk elephant. It is not the best looking fossil but really rare in the uk.  

I made the  base out of a tea light holders that I made, some copper wire and modelling material.

I will add the photos in order of making it.

A1D994CE-1957-4642-8EAF-D337B15A27A8.jpeg

C9ED4A58-242B-410F-AB49-E23CAD9046A2.jpeg

E51BE555-ABA0-4306-810D-453F326A9ECC.jpeg

B6FB1639-8DD0-445D-833C-31704FD49634.jpeg

Now the fun stuff 

4CD73606-0F43-4691-8FFC-AF7BA1AAD436.jpeg

D7E78B4E-7981-43D2-811F-A0633C1C3934.jpeg

I add as a place holder this little lion until I get a 00 gouge elephant that I will purchase when I can find one.

9469CA56-42CB-41E4-AF26-384DD7AB5C54.jpeg

I think it is cool and works with some of my other display pieces.

• I found this Informative 18

Wow, that’s awesome! Nice job! BTW I don’t think your straight tusk elephant tusk tip (say that 5 times fast!) looks bad at all. It looks quite nice on a stand like that.:wub:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Wildly creative!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Wow, that’s awesome! Nice job! BTW I don’t think your straight tusk elephant tusk tip (say that 5 times fast!) looks bad at all. It looks quite nice on a stand like that.:wub:

Thank you very much . The tongue twister tusk has always been just resting at the back of my display shelves and I never really made the most out of it.

Ok, now you got me inspired to do a project of my own. That looks really nice Bobby. Very imaginative!:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

To wild?

Not to my reckoning!  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

This is awesome, Bobby!  :) 

Love the ideas you come up with. 
Truly, you are an artist. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Ok, now you got me inspired to do a project of my own. That looks really nice Bobby. Very imaginative!:dinothumb:

Hi Dave brilliant look forward to seeing your project. It is a lot of fun been creative  . The stand needs a little more work. 

Thanks Bobby

6 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Amazing!

6 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Not to my reckoning!  

4 hours ago, SULLY said:

Cool!

Thanks all much appreciated. :dinothumb:

nice :D , you seem to have some good moddeling skills :)

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is awesome, Bobby!  :) 

Love the ideas you come up with. 
Truly, you are an artist. 

Thanks Tim needs more paint on the rocks but it quite fun. :dinothumb:

2 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

Thank you model making is a lot of fun. :)

48 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

I got hooked on it  last week when painted a couple of plastic prehistoric creatures toys from the 1970s  and mounted them on some stands. Came out nice :D

F3DC4E28-36BF-4EF0-9303-E34C053A02C4.jpeg

84A54D70-D61A-4A33-BA6E-5B11A29D7767.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

The straight-tusked elephant(Palaeoloxodon antiquus) is an extinct species of elephant that inhabited Europe during the Middle and Late Pleistocene .

2016, DNA sequence analysis showed that its closest extant relative is actually the African forest elephant, (Loxodonta cyclotis). It is a big animal and quite cool like all members of the  elephant family. 

3FD54F39-2AF0-4E61-8CEC-1147AFEB210F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

These are absolut beautiful displays :)

Ever thought about making custom stands for others?

I would gladly buy one of them :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

1 hour ago, Abstraktum said:

These are absolut beautiful displays :)

Ever thought about making custom stands for others?

I would gladly buy one of them :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Thank you very much. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I have been only making this type of stand/diorama in the last week. If you let me know what your after l  will think about it and see if I can help   :)

I added a little more paint to the rocks and now it is displayed on my shelve with mostly mammal material . I think it is works ok and will be better when I get some little elephants figures. 

16EE9B49-7F6F-48CC-A218-6599470956D7.jpeg

86AFA83D-521A-4767-A2D3-FF6ADE2E2F5C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

:faint:Wow! That is amazing! You have real talent for these things. Now I want to try my hand at something like this! Where did you get the plant material from? 

13 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

:faint:Wow! That is amazing! You have real talent for these things. Now I want to try my hand at something like this! Where did you get the plant material from? 

The plant stuff is for model toy train sets. Lots of products available for this hobby. Give it a go .:dinothumb:

Thanks! I think I might try to do so! My baby mammoth tooth needs a cool display and not the cheap plastic one it has now. 

Just now, thelivingdead531 said:

Thanks! I think I might try to do so! My baby mammoth tooth needs a cool display and not the cheap plastic one it has now. 

Yes ideal for your baby mammoth tooth. Just let me know if you need any advice. :dinothumb:

35 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I added a little more paint to the rocks and now it is displayed on my shelve with mostly mammal material . I think it is works ok and will be better when I get some little elephants figures. 

16EE9B49-7F6F-48CC-A218-6599470956D7.jpeg

It really looks great, well done. Brilliant idea and very well finished. I have a couple of hand crafted wooden elephants here from South Africa, they're about 12x8cm. If it will be interesting for you for your projects just let me know I will send you some. :)

20190121_120136.jpg