Is this bone material?

PSchleis

Found on Myrtle Beach. I've been picking up a lot of bone that is quite obvious to me in its look and texture, but this is a strange piece and I'm not convinced it's bone at all. The only reason I haven't given up on it is because it has two colors - the outside is black, the inside is brownish.

Thoughts?

P1110884.thumb.JPG.de2b3a12e5149044c7a7ef3ee5127a14.JPGP1110886.thumb.JPG.e8435640216eb98247f331bc3f873bbd.JPGP1110887.thumb.JPG.520453cfda1da62f792410d6ae7772c0.JPGP1110889.thumb.JPG.e66b81717c8e95e7ad44eb81f3dfe693.JPG

Not bone.

Non fossil rock.

Minerals in a rock can oxidize when exposed and make the surface a different color than the inside (in this case most likely an iron compound).

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Not bone.

Non fossil rock.

Minerals in a rock can oxidize when exposed and make the surface a different color than the inside (in this case most likely an iron compound).

Excellent. Thank you, Ynot!

I would say it's a piece of either Peedee or Goose Creek Limestone that was a hardground at some point and got phosphatized (blackened). This can be seen in local quarries but seeing a piece in the surf makes it difficult to recognize. Rip up clasts in basal lags also get the blackened treatment and are often associated with vertebrate concentrations such as shark teeth.

I agree with Rockwood. Giving it a wack with a hammer, if you should so decide, might expose some index fossils so we could ID the rock. Some small Anomia species are typical of the Peedee and Carolinapecten eboreas walkerensis is an index for the Goose Creek.