Micro Shark tooth ID

Shellseeker

I have not been hunting the Peace River since October. On Saturday, I was sorting some ziploc bags of finds back in October and found this tiny tooth that I did not know I had. What I do know is that this one looks different from my normal small shark tooth finds.

I am amazed that it did not slip between my quarter inch screen.  

IMG_4581.jpg.1ac5ef2c356b44e4cad510f9a388a3a1.jpgIMG_4584.jpg.3064b899aa43b1441ebdc3485a7d8d2e.jpgIMG_4586.jpg.a71cb4ff56da7c0e28c352536b3092ba.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I am amazed that it did not slip between my quarter inch screen. 

Hi Jack,

I wonder if this isn't a small Carcharhimus sp. reminds me of a falciformis (silky) shark symphyseal tooth (or at least near the mid-line) ?  It is quite nice.  Sharp and undamaged !  It is the root that looks most unique.

Cheers,

Brett

Here is an extant image. Image credit: http://phatfossils.com/extant references/Carcharhinus falciformis (Silky Shark).php

5c451b20abb20_Carcharhinusfalciformis(SilkyShark)1upperjawA1RLabialview.thumb.jpg.d59587c0d314bb35ef0c81a81f29baef.jpg

5c451b21babf4_Carcharhinusfalciformis(SilkyShark)1upperjawA1LLabialview.thumb.jpg.5fb5471b7aeb4b56e7c78aa5f017fc38.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

Looks like it may be a Galeocerdo or Physogaleus symphysial.

Looks like we have had this discussion before ?? ... Deja Vu ... thanks @PaleoRon for setting us straight again.  haha

@Brett Breakin' Rocks    @PaleoRon 

Thanks Guys for the Identification and link to the 2008 TFF Thread;  I do have both Galeocerdo and Physogaleus in the Peace River.  This is my 1st symphysial for either.  Pleased :D:fistbump:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 1/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, PaleoRon said:

Looks like it may be a Galeocerdo or Physogaleus symphysial.

Hi Ron,

I agree.  A Carcharhinus symphseal wouldn't have as much of a lingual protuberance like that one - something you would see in Physogaleus or Galeocerdo.

Jess

On 1/20/2019 at 7:20 PM, Shellseeker said:

@Brett Breakin' Rocks    @PaleoRon 

Thanks Guys for the Identification and link to the 2008 TFF Thread;  I do have both Galeocerdo and Physogaleus in the Peace River.  This is my 1st symphysial for either.  Pleased :D:fistbump:

Hi Jack,

What's the size of the tooth?  I've seen a Carcharhinus symphyseal 6-7 mm from tip to bottom of root.

Jess

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

What's the size of the tooth?  I've seen a Carcharhinus symphyseal 6-7 mm from tip to bottom of root.

Jess, mine is a monster compared to yours... around 11 mm.

IMG_4689.jpg

23 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Jack,

At 11mm it's probably too big to be a Carcharhinus symphyseal.

Jess,  what do you think it is ? Is it a normal or pathological tooth from a juvenile Carcharhunus shark?

From the thread above launched by Haizahnjager, he had 7 teeth that are as large or larger than the one I have here... and those teeth were (I think) identified as Carcharhinus symphyseals .

IMG_4586.jpg.10eda40a0d04f2cc78216c0575320131.jpgpost-162-1227761162_thumb.jpg.08d6cf73f12abc43ac3494ca2f1e5f87.jpg

Jack

Hi Jack,

I agree with Ron that it's either Physogaleus or Galeocerdo, leaning toward the latter if pressed for one.  

Jess

14 hours ago, siteseer said:

I agree with Ron that it's either Physogaleus or Galeocerdo, leaning toward the latter if pressed for one.  

Thanks for the ID,  with these tiny ones that don't quite look like anything I have found, it is good to label with the most likely.