Fossil Prep Workshop

Terry Dactyll

Astron.... Yes .... You got me.... Dust is also worth a mention and can be very damaging to your health.... Extraction isnt that expensive these days but even with it... I still wear a dust mask....

post-1630-0-81653600-1346661438_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

I have the following fossil, and have had no clue how to get started;

rock-spiral-dog-foot.jpg

close-up;

f5d49c28.jpg

I suppose part of the problem is that I don't know if I'm dealing with an ammonite or plant trace-fossil, like a fiddlestick.

It seems starting with a Ken Mannion airtool might be the answer. I'll look into it, now that I've got a (non-confirmed) opinion from a paleontologist on the first mystery I posted here.

Edited by Roadrunner

I think it more likely that it is a section through a large gastropod (no sign of chambers) than an ammonite; surely it is not a fiddlehead (it is shell, yes?).

All-in-all, this might be a good piece to practice on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it more likely that it is a section through a large gastropod (no sign of chambers) than an ammonite; surely it is not a fiddlehead (it is shell, yes?).

All-in-all, this might be a good piece to practice on.

I don't know that it is a shell. As you can see it is all bound in limestone. Someone once told me that it looks like a fiddlestick, and someone else mentioned that I need to start around the larger indented area - inches away from the spiral area. The entire stone weighs around 80 pounds.

Edited by Roadrunner

Here's a new airtool I aquired from Ken Mannion fossil prep equipment here in the UK and I thought I would add it to this thread along with the other kit.... For bulk material removal for roughing out prior to penning you would really struggle to beat this... I should of invested in one ages ago considering the type of prepjobs I like...Very controllable and runs at 60psi and slices through the limestone like butter and the angle of the chisel head can be rotated easily to accomodate a comfortable grip to work angle...Its going to make 'sculptural changes' to the matrix very easy to undertake....

post-1630-0-69907800-1346399883_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-91729200-1346399900_thumb.jpg

Did you get the SQ model?

Yes I got the SQ which is a heavy duty roughing out tool and also you will need a HD type airpen.... as Auspex says though its really only worth it if there is enough left of the fossil... I dont think there is but its something you could practice prepping on from the other side...

Yes I got the SQ which is a heavy duty roughing out tool and also you will need a HD type airpen.... as Auspex says though its really only worth it if there is enough left of the fossil... I dont think there is but its something you could practice prepping on from the other side...

Thanks! When you say that you don't think there is "enough left," are you referring to the fossil that I posted in this thread?

Thanks again, for your response.

Yes... I have a feeling only the base of the shell remains in the rock....

• 2 weeks later...

It is unbelievable how you can do such a nice prep work...and bring fossils to alive. I wish I was so skilled.

Awesome Discovery!!!

Lime Away or a generic equivalent drizzled on a fossil that is semi exposed in limestone will clean it up quite a bit!

post-9628-0-21203900-1350093231_thumb.jpg

Fossils run under water before the prep.

post-9628-0-17583300-1350093280_thumb.jpg

See the fizz on the fossils? I used the generic version $2.97 at Menards.

post-9628-0-51239000-1350093344_thumb.jpg

These pics do not do it justice on what a difference! The shells actually turned their "original" color--pinks and beiges and tans! The thumbnails are attached so you can tap them to make them bigger.

I did brush them with an old toothbrush and rinsed them thoroughly in the sink (yes, the kitchen sink!).

So, I got even braver! My personal favorite toilet cleaner is Sno Bol--fantastic stuff just don't leave it on too long or the bowl with water is cleaner than the top :) and DON'T get it on stainless steel handles, etc. discolors them!--I put that on my brachiopod in the rock and it is cleaning all the lime off the top! I am letting it soak and it is doing a terrific job!

Warning: These chemicals are caustic! Wear safety glasses, gloves if you have them, and ventilate (of course, I did none of these). It didn't seem to matter if I did more than one application of Lime Out. However, it is making a difference letting the Sno Bol sit! Also, I put the fossils on a cookie sheet with paper towels under them to catch the chemicals, which are rather runny and will ruin the surface of the table.

This is an amazing, easy, inexpensive preliminary prep for fossils in limestone! And it feels so good to give back to the forum with all the patience the members have had with me! Thank you guys!

Bev :)

• I found this Informative 2

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Nice discovery!

I think the trick would be to ensure what the material is - so that one doesn't eat away the fossil or trace fossil. :)

If I were concerned about the rock, I would just pick up an extra peice at the site to check the chemical reaction on first.

I tried it on a fossil that appeared to be straight limestone itself, 5 minutes and it just cleaned it up and brought out the definition! I've been playing with this some and it seems like it does what it is going to do in the first five minutes. Letting it sit after that seems a waste of time. Multiple scrubbings with it do seem to work though in 5 minute intervals.

• I found this Informative 2

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 1 year later...

Beautiful work! That is amazing to see it unveiled before your eyes. It took millions of years to cover up and hours to uncover. I will keep a closer eye on it when I have the tools necessary to do so.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello All!

New to the forum and thanks for this awesome write up!

I have been collecting fossils for 40 yrs but just recently decided

I would try and learn how to prep them. I have a few good pieces that could look amazing prepped and I am lucky enough

to have a creek next to my house that my kids and I find fossils in almost everyday! From Crinoids to Corrals to Plants...

I just recently got 2 cp 9361's a small compressor, a 2pc Scribe and pick set and a cold chisel set. I started my first piece which I will

post of few pics of here shortly and have managed to expose a good 1in of fossil but I am at the fine detail part now...

in close on this double crinoid....and Im afraid of damaging the fossil itself....how does one get the fine detail out without damaging?
Obviously the CP is too powerful to do the fine work and I was looking at a micro air blaster.

There is an inexpensive one here http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Sandblaster-Published-Exclusively/dp/B00A031COU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407853752&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+sandblaster

Wondering if it would be quality enough? what are the experts thoughts?

Hello All!

New to the forum and thanks for this awesome write up!

I have been collecting fossils for 40 yrs but just recently decided

I would try and learn how to prep them. I have a few good pieces that could look amazing prepped and I am lucky enough

to have a creek next to my house that my kids and I find fossils in almost everyday! From Crinoids to Corrals to Plants...

I just recently got 2 cp 9361's a small compressor, a 2pc Scribe and pick set and a cold chisel set. I started my first piece which I will

post of few pics of here shortly and have managed to expose a good 1in of fossil but I am at the fine detail part now...

in close on this double crinoid....and Im afraid of damaging the fossil itself....how does one get the fine detail out without damaging?

Obviously the CP is too powerful to do the fine work and I was looking at a micro air blaster.

There is an inexpensive one here http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Sandblaster-Published-Exclusively/dp/B00A031COU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407853752&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+sandblaster

Wondering if it would be quality enough? what are the experts thoughts?

I use a similar one from Harbor Freight, and the Badger and Paasche brands are similar as well.

Mine works just fine. You do have to fill it fairly frequently if you are doing allot of prepping (that can be annoying), but I find it isn't too bad.

It should do well enough. You need to make sure you have in-line air driers/water/oil filters so that the abrasive doesn't get damp and clog the air eraser.

I have used regular baking soda and dolomite to good effect.

I get my dolomite from Axner Pottery Supply. It's fairly inexpensive from there.

Search "air abrasives" on the Forum, for more good info.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 year later...

1. No rules at all on prepping or cleaning fossils in the U.S. Just common sense.

thank you! i have a big brachiopod in a big rock and i want to get it out. all I have a a dermal tool and a chisel but i think that checkerboard technique will be a big help to get the bulk of the rock out of the way.

Want to learn about fossil prep? Then check out my blog!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this forum. You can't buy this kind of knowledge and information. For those of you who have contributed your knowledge and experiences, thank you very much. It's nice to see people actually have some passion for the hobby and even nicer that they are willing to pass on knowledge without expecting anything in return. Hats off to all of you, you should be proud!