Bison/Bos tooth?

Darko

Found this tooth while ago.Still not sure to which animal this belongs to.I know that it could be one od these two : Bison or Cow.I Found it last year in a Stream in the middle of the forest when i was looking for Oysters (Gryphea gingensis) in Paraćin,Serbia.People do not live near that forest but maybe they lived in some past.

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

DSC_0358.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

4 minutes ago, Darko said:

U sure? 

yes I m sure :) it is bison. I have a few simmilar pleistocene specimens from Europe.

there is a typical stylid on the tooth

bison.PNG.310c435f9537c8e1f1139b1c7e8e7982.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

32 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

yes I m sure :) it is bison. I have a few simmilar pleistocene specimens from Europe.

there is a typical stylid on the tooth

bison.PNG.310c435f9537c8e1f1139b1c7e8e7982.PNG

If u can send me in PM Just to compare it would be awesome! :)

The sad thing is that this is probably Just mineralized cause it smells like burned hair.So who knows how much this old is 

Interesting.  If it smells when scorched, try cleaning off the scum/algae before you apply the flame.  A wire brush in a rotary tool will make the tooth shine.  The tooth is an m3 (not M3 which would be an upper tooth) from a young adult bovid.  I can't with any confidence identify it closer than that.

North American specimens:

bison_bos_m3.JPG

bison_bos_m3_B.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I found also this tooth, which i think it's also m3 tooth... But i found it on a rocky road 1km away from that forest...I want really to see if the first one is a bison.

DSC_0359.JPG

51 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Based on nothing more than overall size, I think it's a cow m3.

cow_lowers_A.JPG

cow_lowers_B.JPG

Thanks! 

a.jpg.837d4daf588e4b610421b63e4c2a34f9.jpgClipboard05.jpg.6c0f471b66549513e18df6d51fb95222.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I found this pics of Bos primigenius m3 tooth and is quite similar like mine,also the length is quite similar

bc21181e6b83d4d98d5dff7e64416d28.jpg

It will be hard to say with certainty if your teeth in question belong to Bos primigenius or Bos taurus, but I think they may be more close to Bos than to Bison.

5c478da1d0691_Table5.2.jpg.9e1a2028fed946842058e79ae7783823.jpg

All excerpts are from E. Allué et al. 2012. Neanderthal Landscapes and Their Home Environment: Flora and Fauna Records from Level J. In: Carbonell i Roura E. (eds) High Resolution Archaeology and Neanderthal Behavior. Vertebrate Paleobiology and Paleoanthropology. Springer, Dordrecht

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library