Gerde

New to the Forum! Just a rookie looking for some help. This fossil was found just outside of Defiance, Ohio 70 yrs ago. The rock was found on the surface of a farm field, in an area not plowed.  Rock is approx 8 inches in length, with its entire surface uniformly covered in bumps. Under magnification, very small crustacean type organisms can be seen embedded in the rock. At first, I thought it may be a stromatoporoid, but bumps on surface may not have enough of a conical shape....?  Looking for advice on where in N.W. Ohio this could be taken for ID, if needed.

Fossil max magnification.JPG

Fossil picture 1.JPG

Fossil size.JPG

Increased magnification.JPG

Edited by Gerde
remov ed duplicate pictures

Welcome to the Forum! :)
It's an interesting specimen.
Has a concave surface on one side? Can we have a picture of that?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Do some research for Devonian Reef Fossils. I found this Devonian fossil tabulate coral which could be a worn coral that you have.

image.png.dbdab90b0a2f50c02c2e92621335bcf5.png

Thanks due the input and questions!

Abyssunder....There is not any concave side. The rock is somewhat football shaped, and all sides really look very similar. 

Bronzviking.. Thanks for the tip. I'll look further into that coral. 

Does anyone know of an institution in N.W. Ohio that might be able to offer insight into a fossil such as this? 

I am not seeing a fossil here

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think that this might be a piece of limestone that has been eroded in a sort of mini karst. Does the rock scratch with a knife blade? Does it fizz in acid? I also see possible pieces of shell or phylloid algae. Better up close photos may help us decide.

FABFB5A6-1DF6-43CC-956C-52B5D0173805.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I think that this might be a piece of limestone that has been eroded in a sort of mini karst.

That was my first impression too.

If there is no lamellar character with pillars in a cross section, no clear astrorhizae on the top, no flat or concave shape at the bottom, no concentric structure visible at the base, I think it can't be similar to stromatoporoids, but I could be wrong.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 11 months later...

Dry dredgers fossil club out of Cincinnati might be able to help you with ID,  they have a website online and many members very familiar with Ohio fossils.  Keep us posted

If you can find somebody to cut a slice of it, the inside may reveal more clearly preserved details which would help understanding.