What shark tooth is this

Dermotthefossilhunter

Found this shark tooth in Apollo bay Victoria Australia any ideas on what it is?

image.jpg

Edited by Dermotthefossilhunter
Picture didn’t show size

do you know the age of those deposits, this would help to narrow it down. 

also the size of the shark tooth.

At first glance I suspect a Carcharodon Hastalis but I have to little info to be sure.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

The age of deposit is unknown sorry but I will get some pictures of it next to a ruler

Here is a picture of the back of it I also edited the picture from before and it’s just under 4 cm

image.jpg

Yup. @Paleoworld-101 might be a good source of information for fossils in this area. I'm not sure if the fossil deposits in Apollo Bay are similar to the formation in Beaumaris to the east. If they share a similar age, this document may be of some use:

http://www.iubs.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Other-Publications/XXVIII._Appendix_F_Fossil_report_for_Heritage_Listing_Jan_2016.pdf

Cheers.

-Ken

Definitely C. hastalis or a very worn C. carcharias.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with either worn great white or C. plicatilis

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Strange that you would find this tooth there, the Apollo Bay area is Cretaceous in age but this is definitely a Cenozoic tooth. As others have said, looks to be a worn C. hastalis, assuming it never had serrations but if it did have serrations and they have simply worn off it would be C. carcharias. I would guess it has been washed some distance to arrive in that area! 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

6 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Strange that you would find this tooth there, the Apollo Bay area is Cretaceous in age but this is definitely a Cenozoic tooth. As others have said, looks to be a worn C. hastalis, assuming it never had serrations but if it did have serrations and they have simply worn off it would be C. carcharias. I would guess it has been washed some distance to arrive in that area!

Considering it's super pretty worn down, I'd also agree with a possible rework if Apollo bay is indeed Cretaceous.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png