New species of Maastrichtian, Palaeocorystoid crab, North Carolina, USA

Hi everyone! I wanted to share with you about the crab carapace which I found in 2012. I found it at the Rocky Point Quarry, Rocky Point, North Carolina, USA.   This little crab carapace captivated me and I am so thankful to Alex Osso for responding to a trip post I made in 2012. I thought I had a regular little carapace, but with his help and then Don Clements and among several others, the carapace made it's way to George Phillips.  Then the research began. I want to thank everyone whom has been a part of this adventure, timeless research, keeping me informed, answering my questions and just taking to needed time to complete the project! Thank you to so many whom also include Barry W. M. van Bakel, Alex Osso,  George Phillips, Don N. Clements, Torrey Nyborg, Francisco J. Vega, Trish Weaver, The North Carolina Fossil Club and the manager of the Rocky Point Martin Marietta Quarry, Doug Pope.  

The crab carapace has been named: Cenocorystes libbyae n. sp. 

I donated the crab carapace to the Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh, North Carolina.

The carapace found by the Mark Mckoy Family is in the article too! Such an amazing find! WOW! 

Have a wonderful 2019 everyone and happy fossil hunting!

I posted a link to the article below, hope it works. If not let me know and I may need a little help from a friend with it.  ;) 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667118303495?dgcid=coauthor.  The article is published by ELSEVIER, Cretaceous Research.

The pic below is from the day I found it in 2012.

All the best! Happy hunting in 2019! 

Libby

002.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Thank you John! They sure are the best. Delightful!

Libby

Congratulations, Libby!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

How awesome it is to have a fossil species named after you! Amazing!

Well done, girl! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations! :)

Really nice fossil too, you deserve to be very proud. 

Happy 2019 to you as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

39 minutes ago, masonboro37 said:

I donated the crab carapace to the Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh, North Carolina.

Major kudos on having a species named for you!

:envy:

Please repost your image and the information to the Contributions to Paleontology and you'll get a spiffy digital badge to go with that new species honor. ;)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46099-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery-post-your-donations-here/

Cheers.

-Ken

Great find and even greater is the donation you made to science!!! Definitely take digit's hint. As for the link, am I the only one having difficulty accessing the PDF?

Amazing find - that's a wonderful contribution you've made to paleontology!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

...and @Plax is a coauthor as well!

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Good to get the history Libby. Thanks! I hadn't realized it was on the forum first. Should have known. I was only remembering me seeing it on a windy, rainy day on Oleander in Wilmington where we met in a parking lot. A great memory!

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

As for the link, am I the only one having difficulty accessing the PDF?

The link Libby posted above seems to be working for me. Unfortunately, the PDF seems to be behind a paywall. I don't mind people using the internet for commercial purposes but I am devout in my opinion that scientific papers should always be made available to the public at no cost. Perhaps Libby has a copy she might send to you via PM if you are interested.

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Great find and even greater is the donation you made to science!!! Definitely take digit's hint. As for the link, am I the only one having difficulty accessing the PDF?

PM sent.

Don

Great find, Libby! :wub:  I'm really fond of fossil crabs.  Yours is a beautiful specimen, and it looks like it's on a really delicate matrix.  Am I correct in believing the Rocky Point quarry is still closed?

Don

Hi all,

This is the link for the authors and we are allowed to share. You can freely download the PDF  during 50 days, but I see that sometimes it does not work.

Try now: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667118303495?dgcid=coauthor

And yes, the scientific publishers are a bussiness... :mellow:

• I found this Informative 1

Not seeing a way to access the PDF without paying the $37.95 price for it. A co-author visiting the same link would likely be logged into their website (through the use of cookies) and would be seeing open access to the document but those not directly connected with the paper are still blocked from accessing it without a credit card.

I'm one of those odd types (in case you haven't noticed yet ;)) who like reading scientific papers. If Libby @masonboro37 could send me a copy via PM, I'd enjoy reading through the details of this new species.

Cheers.

-Ken

23 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations, Libby!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

How awesome it is to have a fossil species named after you! Amazing!

Well done, girl! :) 

Hi Tim! Thank you so much. It is so special to me. This lil' carapace stared with me finding it and then  FF member's  @MB and @plax directing me int he right direction. :)

22 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Congratulations! :)

Really nice fossil too, you deserve to be very proud. 

Happy 2019 to you as well. 

Thank you Tidgy's Dad!  I have enjoyed your posts on the FF very much!

Libby 

22 hours ago, digit said:

Major kudos on having a species named for you!

:envy:

Please repost your image and the information to the Contributions to Paleontology and you'll get a spiffy digital badge to go with that new species honor. ;)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46099-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery-post-your-donations-here/

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you so much!  I shall repost. :)

Libby

22 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Congratulations, Libby...that is awesome! :crab:

Ahhh, one of my FF delights PFOOLEY from the past before I kinda went MIA! Thank you so much!