Chinese Hadrosaur egg

Wightlight

I've been looking at this Hadrosaur egg from the Kaoguo formation in China, and while it seems alright to me I don't have any experience with dino eggs. What do you guys think?

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Egg looks real, not the best specimen.  What size is it?

If the correct size looks like a Dendroolithus type egg but the locality and formation might read Xixia basin China, Gaoguo Formation.  Eggs are classified not by the type of dinosaur but by oogenus type based on the eggshell.. 

Here is a paper on those eggs,

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257442167_Dinosaur_eggs_and_dinosaur_egg-bearing_deposits_Upper_Cretaceous_of_Henan_Province_China_Occurrences_palaeoenvironments_taphonomy_and_preservation

There is definitely no chance of judging the oogenus as being a Dendroolithus without first preparing the egg and thoroughly studying the shells.   :(

In my opinion it is not a bad egg, but an excellent specimen that has already been hatched and then prepared upside down:

image.thumb.png.8127a81a6560cac7047e720c66d6dabb.png

Pieces of egg shell mixed with the matrix seem to confirm that it really is an egg that has been hatched.

image.thumb.png.16af75fd172e53c5c7df29dc12055ff3.png

As I might expect from an authentic egg, the morphology, organization of the shells and calcite veins are present:

image.png.1cc33fc4d5fc58732f16f4a1b2c7c9a7.png

Although that taphonomic deformation can be reproduced by artificial processes made by man, in my opinion, this taphonomic deformations here seems natural to me and added to what I have already mentioned, it is the coup de grace to make this authentic egg:

image.thumb.png.f99709730e6b1fd362436dc52fbc49d1.png

It is a natural egg, and in this egg I see a lot of eggshell, so I believe that after this egg is prepared, it can become quite presentable and worthy of the best place on the shelf for display.

Here in my country say that a bird in the hand is better than two birds flying, and I say that it is better to have an genuine egg that has already been incubated but well prepared in its collection than a fantastic egg, but fake.

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 11

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

It was written "Kaoguo Formation, YiSin, China" on the label.  I am not sure if it is entirely correct.  The Gaogou Formation is a Mesozoic geological formation in Henan Province of China whereas Yixian Formation is a geological formation in Jinzhou, Liaoning Province of China that spans 11 millions years during the early Cretaceous period.  Based on the appearance of the egg, I think it is from Henan.

• I found this Informative 3

Agree with @Seguidora-de-Isis It's a real egg that would look wonderful with prep.

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!