Cleaning Ecphora

scubapro67

I've had this hanging around the house for a while, and thought I'd see if there's some suggestions for getting the limestone/ coral and barnacle growth off this rather large Ecphora (about 5 inches).  Read about water with vinegar or bleach, but that sounds way too harsh.

Thanks.

20190123_074907.jpg

@scubapro67

Much to complicated to explain. You should just send it to me so you wont have to worry about it ever again. :D

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Whatever you do do not use vinegar!!!  Bleach sounds real nasty too.   If it will hold up to it, soak it in water for some hours, rince off, change water and let soak again.  This will get rid of the salt.  then you can coat it with a stablelizer.  thats if it will hold up to all that soaking?  These things are usually a bit fragile and maybe fall apart?

RB

As long as the shell is stable in water, bleach should be ok.  I have used 1/2 bleach 1/2 water for aragonitic fossil shells to remove algae staining and on recent shells to remove encrusters.  I have not tried it on calcitic shells such as Ecphora.  The encrusting coral Septastrea marylandica might be difficult to remove even with bleach.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Acids can destroy Ecphora. Bleach should be fine, but I have not tried it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

maybe hydrogen peroxide and a tooth brush, or dish detergent, warm water and brush

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think with the coral it is a beautiful collection piece and could be appreciated as it is. My $0.02!  Is the aperature covered with coral? I have found smaller gastropods used by hermit crabs that are covered with coral or bryozoan which expands the aperature enabling the hermit crab to live its life in the one shell.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

@scubapro67

Much to complicated to explain. You should just send it to me so you wont have to worry about it ever again. :D

@SailingAlongToo

Happy to share extras if the technique works. PM me if super secret :)