NC Cretaceous Bone Identification

MikeR

Hi All

I need some help identifying these two bones if possible.  They are from a Campanian deposit in Bladen County, NC.  I am thinking the one on the left is turtle, but I no so good with vertebrates.

Mike

5c48bcb40384c_bone1.thumb.jpg.c43908c94ca9eb5e21bb7086e4582912.jpg5c48bcb48879e_bone2.thumb.jpg.c02c7d203440dc8767f8a64b7ba8a51c.jpg5c48bcb51543f_bone3.thumb.jpg.6d7e7379f23f29b1e01fff1e35b26de1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Left definitely looks like turtle. Not sure about the smaller one on the right.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Maybe the one from the left is a turtle humerus, but it's just a guess.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

just an observation but the one on the right has a very low porous area to bone ratio. This may be an indication of dinosaur bone. Most of the turtle and other reptile bone from the Bladen and Tarheel has a lot of porous bone in the middle. Not very scientific though.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks everyone.  The bone on the right was the one that was throwing me.  I also thought it could be Dino as I have legit dino bone and teeth from this site, however Harry does show that at least based on dimensions it could be turtle.  I have been looking at turtle skeletons online and starting to convince myself that the bone on the left is part of the pelvis girdle.  

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain