Is this a good tool for fossil preparation?

Pterygotus

Hi. I saw this multitask engrave/sander tool for sale. Is this suitable for fossil preparation? Thank you.

E1A17DA1-4B4C-4B62-AC17-225A753A871E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

My opinion is that such a rotary tool is an essential device in a preparator's tool box.  These tools come in all sorts of configurations, of course.

This tool is being offered without the most useful bit, in my experience -- stainless steel brushes.  But, these are readily available.  Silicone caulk cuts down on the fly-away brush wires in use -- always use eye protection.

brusheswire.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I have a foredom with all those tools and more, but rarely use it.   It really depends on what you plan to work on?  

RB

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, RJB said:

I have a foredom with all those tools and more, but rarely use it.   It really depends on what you plan to work on?  

RB

Same with me. I have a proxxon, but sometimes I even forget that I have the thing. Don't really need it for ammonites and that's mostly what I do.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

58 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Silicone caulk cuts down on the fly-away brush wires in use -- always use eye protection.

Great tip. Wouldn't have thought of that great hack.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Silicone caulk cuts down on the fly-away brush wires in use.

You just squirt it around the spindle shaft where the bristles attach?

I had a brass wire one and it shot out so many bristles everywhere I quite using it. I did have eye protection, but the rest of my face and upper torso wasn't so lucky.

This sounds like a great idea!

I massage with fingertips a smallish dab of silicone caulk into the bristles for maximum coverage.  The cured caulk leaves no mark or residue on the fossil.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

18 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

I'm in this camp also. I have a pneumatic rotary tool that I use so infrequently that I'm actually unsure of where it is right now. :D

Air scribes, micro-abrasion, and acid are my typical prep methods with a heavy tendency towards scribes.

I use mine for sharpening dental picks and carbide rods.  I also use it for cutting off excess rock but only with small amounts of soft rock.  Rarely for actually removing rock from near the specimen.  

23 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

My opinion is that such a rotary tool is an essential device in a preparator's tool box.  These tools come in all sorts of configurations, of course.

This tool is being offered without the most useful bit, in my experience -- stainless steel brushes.  But, these are readily available.  Silicone caulk cuts down on the fly-away brush wires in use -- always use eye protection.

brusheswire.JPG

Wow! Awesome idea. I go through hundreds of these and I am always pulling pieces of wire out of my skin. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve used my Dremel with the flex shaft on multiple trilobites to get the majority of the matrix out of the way and I’ve buffed some with a buffing pad as well. It’s quite handy for other around the house projects.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?