I have a strophomenata brachiopod with small circles and what look like puncture holes in center of circles. What may have caused these?

rafinesquinidae-brachiopod.jpg

Nice specimen. :)

Probably the traces left behind by epibionts, maybe a species of inarticulate brachiopod. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The examples of beekite I'm seeing when I google it look more extreme. But, it looks somewhat like what I have going on this fossil.  Thank you fossilDAWG and Tidgy's Dad

As a double check, are the rings silica and are not scratched by a metal sewing needle?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

As a double check, are the rings silica and are not scratched by a metal sewing needle?

My thoughts as well. If they scratch, then that could point to trace fossil.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

My money's on beekite, I see varying degrees of it in my local Mississippian brachiopods and some looks just like that. But check for silica.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Can't say I saw it before it was pointed out, but it does look more reorganized than as if were deformed originally. 

I have beekite rings on one of my fossils from Mich. but I just "googled" it to learn more....surprise :doh!: Not exactly what I was looking for. 

beekite.jpg

16 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

surprise :doh!: Not exactly what I was looking for. 

but you will never wonder how to spell it again. :D

Those are beekite rings on the brachiopod valve.

5c4a0a5dc68e9_Strophomenafilitexta-SH-01A-Stetton.jpg.f1e1f42713add095db5199d3812d1cbf.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library