Cretaceous Texas shark teeth ID

britishcanuk

I just got a few teeth from the Waco Texas area. I was hoping someone could help me ID them.

I think the first one might be Cretodus and I am questioning the data on the last tooth, I suspect it is a striatolamia rossica from Kazakhstan that got accidentally mixed in, or something similar. 

thanks for looking.

1DA61A94-A805-487E-85DA-1FE7F2EB2C5A.jpeg

834CEC2E-75E2-4A69-A8DC-F64F543AEE51.jpeg

30105C6C-0F54-4F5C-B109-8EBA941E557E.jpeg

E449D592-462C-4ECC-9F99-E30C6F80AEE1.jpeg

Considering that Waco is below Ft. Worth I'm going to take a gander and guess this tooth might be from the Duck Creek Formation (although DCF is mainly due west of Ft. Worth) or a similar Cretaceous formation when the majority of Texas was part of a Cretaceous corridor seaway. What you have has well defined side cusps for capturing small fish. This tooth appears similar in structure to a Goblin Shark, Sand Tiger Shark, or possibly another species. The tooth looks more like a Goblin to me but I find that hard to believe since the seaway would have been much shallower than the larger bodies of water though I wouldn't rule it out. Goblin sharks have been found close to the shoreline based on shoreline contents found in the stomach of deceased Goblin sharks:

https://www.sharks-world.com/goblin_shark/

Here's an interesting article from Texas:

https://www.newsweek.com/20-foot-gigantic-shark-fossil-found-duck-creek-formation-texas-339692

So you had a lot of different species and sub-species swimming around the oceans at that time. It's neat to think that while the shark that this tooth belonged to was swimming along the shoreline you had massive dinosaurs roaming the earth.

Here's an interesting article on Lamniformes in particular Sand Tiger from the Eocene and a portion of Texas (south eastern section) was under water for miles so Sand Tigers could have come in close to shoreline as modern Sand Tigers do. Here's the article. It's an interesting read and points out a location in Texas: 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/08912963.2017.1341503

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

First two are anteriors of Cretolamna cf. catoxodon while the third one is a lateral of Cretoxyrhina denticulata, broad crown, massive root and small cusplets connected via an enamel band are typical for this species.

I agree with you that last one is Eocene, likely Kazakhstan, not Striatolamia though but rather a typical mako anterior - Macrorhizodus praecursor, enamel shoulders and the shape of root lobes are quite distinctive.

What is the size of these teeth?

The Tooth Fairy