PSA: If sending a fossil out, please take a pic of the address on the parcel

-Andy-

Hi all, a friend of mine has lost a fossil of almost $1,000 in value because the parcel was delivered to a different address (in the same country) even though he had a tracking code.

The local postal company claimed that they delivered to the address as stated on the parcel and the tracking code. They refuse to tell my friend which address they sent to as that is confidential information. The seller meanwhile stated he wrote down the address exactly as my friend specified, and that he checked my friend's online and Paypal as well to triple confirm that was the correct address.

Right now, the seller claims he wrote the correct address. The postal company claimed they delivered to the address they were given (which isn't my friend's address). Neither side is giving in much to my friend's horror. This headache would be solved if the seller had only taken a picture of the address he claimed to ship to.

It only takes 10 secs to snap a picture, but it could save you a $1,000 disaster.

Sellers, please take a picture of the box. Buyers, please request for a picture.

• I found this Informative 9

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Hopefully the recipient will do the right thing and send the package back.

The recipient received the parcel in person. Evidently, they decided to keep it.

The local postal company refuses to provide their address or details unless my friend can prove the parcel had his address on it. My friend can't since the seller didn't take a picture of the parcel.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

That majorly stinks. I’d feel

bad if I was out a $20 fossil let alone one that cost $1k:(

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I have noticed a new policy our postal department

( USPS) is doing now. They type the address into their system and you have to confirm that address is correct on the prompt screen. That shows the clerk did not make a typing error.

However, having a photo of the addressed package is a good added safeguard/ proof as well.

• I found this Informative 1

great idea

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have sent out numerous packages of fossils to Forum members and I would say that 95% of the time I also send them a picture of the package with the address as well as a copy of the receipt with the tracking number.

As Doren @caldigger said, the address verification is a new thing at the USPS.

How did your friend pay Andy?  There may be some recourse if payment was made via certain credit cards or related types of payment. Excellent advice by the way!

The skeptic in me wonders if the seller is above board and being honest. I would think the seller (shipper) would be able to use the tracking number to verify with the shipping company that the package went to the address they intended it to or could provide at least a confirmation that it went to a different address than it was intended. I'm just very suspicious of purchasing an expensive fossil that the seller claims to have mailed but which didn't show up. Something seems fishy to me but maybe I just assume the worst.

Let us know if there is some resolution to this incident. Requesting a photo of the package to verify shipping information would seem like a wise request as a bit of extra insurance. Great tip--hope it helps others in the future.

Cheers.

-Ken

27 minutes ago, bcfossilcollector said:

How did your friend pay Andy?  There may be some recourse if payment was made via certain credit cards or related types of payment. Excellent advice by the way!

He paid through Paypal. My friend isn't ready to antagonize the seller yet. He's trying to resolve this in a peaceful way.

6 minutes ago, digit said:

The skeptic in me wonders if the seller is above board and being honest. I would think the seller (shipper) would be able to use the tracking number to verify with the shipping company that the package went to the address they intended it to or could provide at least a confirmation that it went to a different address than it was intended. I'm just very suspicious of purchasing an expensive fossil that the seller claims to have mailed but which didn't show up. Something seems fishy to me but maybe I just assume the worst.

Let us know if there is some resolution to this incident. Requesting a photo of the package to verify shipping information would seem like a wise request as a bit of extra insurance. Great tip--hope it helps others in the future.

Cheers.

-Ken

The package did arrive at an address according to the tracking code. My country's postage company (Singpost) also confirmed they delivered it to an address but it wasn't my friend's.

The seller is in talks with his own country's postal company to see if they can confirm that they handed over the right package to Singpost.

If the postal company won't give you the address they wrongly delivered it to because it's confidential, why can't they just go back to those people themselves and say the delivery was a mistake, trying to get the item back? 

Also wouldn't the person at the wrong address have needed to signed for it too? The name on the package wouldn't match the signature given... 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

32 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

If the postal company won't give you the address they wrongly delivered it to because it's confidential, why can't they just go back to those people themselves and say the delivery was a mistake, trying to get the item back? 

Also wouldn't the person at the wrong address have needed to signed for it too? The name on the package wouldn't match the signature given... 

My friend must first prove he is the intended recipient which he cannot do because the seller didn't take any picture of the parcel.

There isn't a signature list to reference from, so Singpost would have no idea if the person signing it off is the intended owner or not. 

If your friend paid with PayPal and provided his address through there, as well as with the seller directly, then there should be documentation of that on both ends.  He should have received a confirmation email as well, usually listing the shipping address. I would suggest starting there if he can. Best of luck to your friend. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

I have noticed a new policy our postal department

( USPS) is doing now. They type the address into their system and you have to confirm that address is correct on the prompt screen. That shows the clerk did not make a typing error.

However, having a photo of the addressed package is a good added safeguard/ proof as well.

Yes also in the Uk this has been the case for some time. It makes a lot of sense. It eliminates  the senders mistakes. 

I think it is not a bad idea to snap a photo it will show to a buy it is not your mistake. @-Andy- so the tracking history  shows it was delivered to the right address? Some curriers in the Uk now photography the house that they have delivered your parcel too and add it to the tracking history as extra proof of delivery.  I feel very sorry for your friend.:(

5 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

If your friend paid with PayPal and provided his address through there, as well as with the seller directly, then there should be documentation of that on both ends.  He should have received a confirmation email as well, usually listing the shipping address. I would suggest starting there if he can. Best of luck to your friend. 

Good info. I will tell my friend this.

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes also in the Uk this has been the case for some time. It makes a lot of sense. It eliminates  the senders mistakes. 

I think it is not a bad idea to snap a photo it will show to a buy it is not your mistake. @-Andy- so the tracking history  shows it was delivered to the right address? Some curriers in the Uk now photography the house that they have delivered your parcel too and add it to the tracking history as extra proof of delivery.  I feel very sorry for your friend.:(

The tracking history shows it was delivered, but it doesn't state which address it was delivered to.