Tiny Unknown Devonian

minnbuckeye

@Peat Burns, This one is for you. I am staking my reputation (which doesn't mean a lot) on you to be able to ID this Paulding, Ohio unknown. Your info on  species of Paulding mounds has been very helpful to me so far. Collected in early January. 2019-01-25.thumb.jpg.9dbb14d15c2b0bc02395bf761b32929a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Hi Mike,

I agree with the others that this is a solitary rugose coral.  I have sectioned a number of them from that site.  It's hard to say from photos (and the specimen was heavily eroded prior to fossilization), but I think it would end up being either Stereolasma bethae or Heterophrentis simplex.

• I found this Informative 4

Obviously rugosa is likely here but do "baby" rugosa corals look any different than adults? I have tried to see examples of youthful Devonian corals, but can find no examples.This specimen doesn't look like a normal horn coral. It is definitely columnar to begin with before flowering out at the top. Anyways, Thanks for all of the help!!! I will just have to bow my head and accept it as just a lowly horn coral.

Mike

54 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

do "baby" rugosa corals look any different than adults?

Only a little bit.  It's all in the internal anatomy, beginning with the cardinal fossa and extending to the presence / absence and nature of the dissepiments, characteristics of the septa, etc.  Basically, reliable identification requires thin sections or acetate peels.

58 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

bow my head and accept it as just a lowly horn coral.

:faint:WHAT?!?  I love horn corals!  Save all the ones you find and give them to me!:)

• I found this Informative 1

Actually, corals do intrigue me too, in spite of what I said above. My collection is quite large,This little rugosa has been bagged and labeled and definitely NOT going to the local park's sand pit. @Peat Burns, if it is something that could fit your collection, let me know.

• I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Only a little bit.  It's all in the internal anatomy, beginning with the cardinal fossa and extending to the presence / absence and nature of the dissepiments, characteristics of the septa, etc.  Basically, reliable identification requires thin sections or acetate peels.

:faint:WHAT?!?  I love horn corals!  Save all the ones you find and give them to me!:)

No! 

Send them to me, Mike! 

Oh, you already have.:D

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png