What kind of tooth?

Moozillion

I found this tooth many years ago in the loess formation near St. Francisville, Louisiana. I don't actually even know if it's a modern tooth or a fossil. since the area where the root would be has hollowed out, I guess that's what makes me think it might be modern?

IMG_1837.thumb.jpg.a2213d84b62ff8de5aac09b4f8c3dfd4.jpgIMG_1838.thumb.jpg.c20993d1ffa1ec43d5a7867a733a2e7f.jpg

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Cow tooth.

Dang. I was afraid of that.

But, THANKS!!!!! I'd still rather pick up something that turned out to be modern than overlook something! :)

I guess since cattle were initially brought to the Americas by the Spanish, can only conclude that it must be modern? But bison however, were here long before, and could be fossilized?

Hot needle test can determine if mineralized...

The isolated thingy in the middle of your first pic, called a stylid I think, is a characteristic of cow teeth. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, facehugger said:

Hot needle test can determine if mineralized...

A hot needle will not work for testing bone or teeth. It just won't keep the heat long enough.

You need an open flame, and it is mostly for bone not teeth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, facehugger said:

The isolated thingy in the middle of your first pic, called a stylid I think, is a characteristic of cow teeth.

My black cat says " the isolated stylid is a characteristic of bovid teeth (not only of Bos)". :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library