Unidentified Fossil Embedded in Rock

TRKansas

Cant figure out what's embedded in this rock. Anybody know?

The 3rd Pic is of a different rock found in the same area with a similar pattern on it.

Found in Riley Co, KS - Flint hills

IMG_1038.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

I agree, definitely bryozoan

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I think the bryozoans are fenestrates.

The pattern of sedimentation pattern looks like sand migrating downslope in a current. Like in a delta front.

@ynot Is a sediment guy.

• I found this Informative 2

The strange features may be close to small-scale heterogeneities (crossbedding) / fluid flow, etc. :)

IMG_1038.jpeg.d2a7b036b6fbc73df28bd51125395d54.thumb.jpg.ba885ad8442c1632be7c51923ef9d645.jpg

similar specimen in an older topic -

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I've seen this wavy feature in lots of flint/chert and had thought it was algal or microbial in origin,

and that it grew in spaces between already hardened material.

Is that a possibility as well? @abyssunder

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I'm quoting @westcoast from post "mystery beach pebble" where he questions the trough cross bedding .  "While I agree that it does look like trough cross bedding I'm concerned that the size is unusually small , i don't see any sedimentary grains and also a number of the troughs appear to have a secondary inner trough. The separating thin layers are also unusually thin and even."  I don't think the small size thing was completely explained, and I did read the papers.

Could these be microbially induced structures?

50 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

I'm quoting @westcoast from post "mystery beach pebble" where he questions the trough cross bedding .  "While I agree that it does look like trough cross bedding I'm concerned that the size is unusually small , i don't see any sedimentary grains and also a number of the troughs appear to have a secondary inner trough. The separating thin layers are also unusually thin and even."  I don't think the small size thing was completely explained, and I did read the papers.

This is the other side and the ends, if that interests anyone. 

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

6 hours ago, Innocentx said:

This one does, to my eye at least, have sedimentary grains. The bryozoan also appears to be closer to the same density/drag coefficient as the darker silty layer of background sedimentation. 

12 hours ago, abyssunder said:

The strange features may be close to small-scale heterogeneities (crossbedding) / fluid flow, etc.

I'm guessing the scale would represent a function of particle size, slope angle, and flow rate ? 

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm guessing the scale would represent a function of particle size, slope angle, and flow rate ? 

All those and turbidity. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

So what does this mean for the possibility of being microbially induced structure? Yes? or no?

40 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

So what does this mean for the possibility of being microbially induced structure? Yes? or no?

I think nothing is a better answer. 

That would have to be a separate line of reasoning. I don't know enough about microbial structure to say what that might be though.

3 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I'll go with no on the microbial structure. Just does not seem right for something that forms mats and tends to grow in stagnant environments.

25 minutes ago, ynot said:

stagnant environments.

Intermittently ? Represented by the darker dividing layers ?

13 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Intermittently ? Represented by the darker dividing layers ?

I don't see it that way.

I doubt this pattern could be formed in a stagnant environment - intermittent or not.

20 hours ago, Innocentx said:

I've seen this wavy feature in lots of flint/chert and had thought it was algal or microbial in origin,

and that it grew in spaces between already hardened material.

Is that a possibility as well?

I don't think it has a microbial origin or these features have something in common with microbially induced structures.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

That would have to be a separate line of reasoning.

Never said there was one. :)

I like mysteries. I'll have to do some magnification on my samples and look for sedimentary grains, etc. 

Thanks for efforts to clear this up, guys.  I may very well end up in agreement.