Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone.

I have this specimen I picked up at a Fossil show. It looks to me like crinoid Stem very and a Stern impression. It was provided for auction at southern Illinois fossil show  which I paid $1 and was provided from a Fossil club somewhere in Southern Illinois. 

Please could I find out exactly what it is and if my ID is  correct. On the other side is a groove about 1 inch long and also head grooves like Stem impressions.

Thank you

IMG_20190125_160600.jpg

Yep I agree that does look like a lengthwise section thru a couple of crinoid stems and a possible impression of another on the other side ....Interesting to see the internal view of those critters. I like seeing structures like that. 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
I cant type
  • I found this Informative 4

30 minutes ago, Archie said:

Agreed, nice specimen :) 

Thanks, I've added a closer up  picture. The long one has the stems in it and the wider one beside it is a channel with impression

IMG_20190125_160600~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

50 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Yep I agree that does look like a lengthwise section thru a couple of crinoid stems and a possible impression of another on the other side ....Interesting to see the internal view of those critters. I like seeing structures like that. 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks, I've added a closer up  picture. The long one has the stems in it and the wider one beside it is a channel with impression

Definitely, those are crinoid stems in different preservation status, internal mold vs external mold.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 minutes ago, Scottnokes2015 said:

Yep, nice! Here's a little pebble showing fragments of the stem as they begin to break apart...

5c4bb04b152af_Crinoidpebble.thumb.jpg.c7e5ce739a7ccebe1e1a794c61a49e9c.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help. I know this is a long shot and is difficult to say, but does anyone have any idea were it may be from it at least, the formation.

I'll I can say is, I bided on it at a fossil show silent auction and won it for $1.00

The show was there Southern Illinois For show held in Marion, Illinois.

As far as I know, it was given to the auction but a local club, but I don't know if they are based in Marion or Carbondale, or somewhere else pretty local in Illinois. It is a very light tan, and has some very dark red patches. It also seems to have a fair bit of calcite when looked at under microscope 

Thanks for any ideas

Scott

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help. I know this is a long shot and is difficult to say, but does anyone have any idea were it may be from it at least, the formation.

I'll I can say is, I bided on it at a fossil show silent auction and won it for $1.00

The show was there Southern Illinois For show held in Marion, Illinois.

As far as I know, it was given to the auction but a local club, but I don't know if they are based in Marion or Carbondale, or somewhere else pretty local in Illinois. It is a very light tan, and has some very dark red patches. It also seems to have a fair bit of calcite when looked at under microscope 

Thanks for any ideas:trilo:

On 1/25/2019 at 6:59 PM, Plantguy said:

Yep, nice! Here's a little pebble showing fragments of the stem as they begin to break apart...

5c4bb04b152af_Crinoidpebble.thumb.jpg.c7e5ce739a7ccebe1e1a794c61a49e9c.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Chris, how did you get the fossils to clean up so  white?

Hey Scott, I cant help with where it may have come from--not done any hunting there...I did use to wander around in Indiana and Kentucky. I did see this note from the Illinois geologic survey  which may help. Many of the limestone beds in Illinois are composed mostly of crinoid plates and discs. The complete calyx is a highly prized fossil. Well-preserved specimens are found in the limestone cliffs along the Mississippi River between Burlington and Alton.

https://www.isgs.illinois.edu/outreach/geology-resources/crinoids

If you dont already have one-- the geologic map of the state might offer some clues as to what outcrops showup in the area. 

You can get a pdf here: 

http://isgs.illinois.edu/content/bedrock-geology-map-illinois

I'd poke around on the web looking for papers about the geology of Illinois. Might even have some on the Illinois geologic survey. 

As for my fossils and the white color..they are from Kentucky....its probably been 30 years since I found those and my best guess is that I put them in a mild bleach solution for a short while and then scrubbed to remove the algae and dirt. I may have even thrown them in some vinegar for awhile after the other cleanings. Good to have gloves and goggles on!

Here's some I still have that I never cleaned up. They arent anything fancy but PM me if you want some and I'll send some to you. 

5c511484df7d9_CrinoidsLouisvilleKentucky.jpg.ec86dc9f7889b03a81904f71a7f88148.jpg

This little red stained pebble came out of the same creek. 

5c51149e94694_Crinoidpebble2.thumb.jpg.590fc3bdb86ce34bcce109f0a901a3cf.jpg

Do some research and pick those fossil club members minds! Who knows, they might even have a field trip that gets you into a quarry or locale.

Maybe one of the locale folks seeing this will comment with more details for you. Good luck. 

Regards, Chris