A Change of Luck for the Better! Finding Megalodon teeth!

WILDKYLE

Hey guys! I actually missed a week of uploading, but Cris and I got back at it and went to one of our new creek sites for some more exploration!

Unfortunately, we gave it a good go and didn't find anything great. So we literally went after dark to some of our trusty old road sites where fill material is used as road fill. This turned out to be an absolutely amazing decision, and ended up being one of our best hunts on the roads to date!

This video is chock-full of weirdness, and great finds! Give it a watch when you get some time :dinosmile:

• I found this Informative 15

Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

Glad you got some nice teeth in the end ! What a great trip, loved the cowrie and the shell with coral on.

The whale tooth is really nice too.

Your enthusiasm is infectious.

The orange stuff looks like slime mold to me! Nice.:)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

33 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Glad you got some nice teeth in the end ! What a great trip, loved the cowrie and the shell with coral on.

The whale tooth is really nice too.

Your enthusiasm is infectious.

The orange stuff looks like slime mold to me! Nice.:)

Oh yeah I love getting some cool invertebrates too! We somehow forgot to get a clip of finding the whale tooth :(. And yeah, that stuff made me want to take a shower :hearty-laugh:

I love those vids :D  keep up the good work 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I've watched afew of your videos, you two are so goofy. I'd love to fossil with you, would be a good laugh :)

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Amazing video. Felt like I was part of your expedition - except I didn't get to take home any goodies. :envy:

If you are in North Florida then the shell bed is probably Lower Pleistocene Nashua Formation which contains a mix of tropical species found in the Caloosahatchee Formation further south and warm temperate species from the Waccamaw Formation in the Carolinas with a few endemics to the Nashua.  The cowrie is Siphocypraea problematica, the shell with the encrusting coral (Septastrea marylandica) is Plicofusus scalarina, the volute is Scaphella floridana, and I also see what is probably Fusinus caloosahatcheensis which until recently went by the genus name Heilprinia.  The tulip shell could be one of three different species based upon the protoconch (the very tip which represents the embryonic shell) but if I had to put a name on it I would say Fasciolaria apicina.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 1/30/2019 at 9:32 AM, MikeR said:

If you are in North Florida then the shell bed is probably Lower Pleistocene Nashua Formation which contains a mix of tropical species found in the Caloosahatchee Formation further south and warm temperate species from the Waccamaw Formation in the Carolinas with a few endemics to the Nashua.  The cowrie is Siphocypraea problematica, the shell with the encrusting coral (Septastrea marylandica) is Plicofusus scalarina, the volute is Scaphella floridana, and I also see what is probably Fusinus caloosahatcheensis which until recently went by the genus name Heilprinia.  The tulip shell could be one of three different species based upon the protoconch (the very tip which represents the embryonic shell) but if I had to put a name on it I would say Fasciolaria apicina.

Mike

Thank you so much for the info Mike! That helps clear a lot of things up.

That's exactly how I want these videos to feel! Thank you!

On 1/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, Wanderer said:

I thoroughly enjoyed that video! Also, blue is totally your color...

Thank you :hearty-laugh: