minnbuckeye

Here is a rock that I have had in my basement since summer. It has finally made it to Forum members to voice their opinion on. I know it is NOT a rugosa coral (a joke for those who saw my previous ID request). I am thinking possibly a stromatolite? Or because of the karst topography in the region, it may be a type of flowstone from a cave. Or maybe one of those rocks to put out in the garden. 

The bottom of the specimen:DSC_0117-001.thumb.JPG.785716e133163184943f7323599f2762.JPG 

The top:DSC_0119-001.thumb.JPG.f4ba1d4453b882f9f2255d68f0f4fbbf.JPG 

Side views:DSC_0118-001.thumb.JPG.350a25666bde74d8fe670d71f4e8a9e7.JPGDSC_0121-001.thumb.JPG.3bba4504a3f6eddc92120b4130d61723.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

It reminds me of tufa.

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Lovely! :wub:

It's a rugose coral.

Just kidding, i think it's an algal thing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Can you give us any information that might be helpful in determining if it is an eroded fragment of a larger mass or just a small (colony sized) ball ?

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Can you give us any information that might be helpful in determining if it is an eroded fragment of a larger mass or just a small (colony sized) ball ?

@Rockwood, I believe this was found in a stream bed as is. I have walked many miles of streams around here and haven't seen this type of rock. But after reading up on Tufa, it makes sense that ground water flowing through our Karst topography dissolved the limestone, making a solution high in carbonates. As a result, Tufa instead of stalactite! Would some tufa just be a form of flowstone in a cave situation? 

"Tufa is a variety of limestone formed when carbonate minerals precipitate out of ambient temperature water. Tufa is sometimes referred to as travertine. It should not be confused with hot spring travertine."   Wikipedia

Mike

40 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Would some tufa just be a form of flowstone in a cave situation? 

" In Central Europe's last post-glacial palaeoclimatic optimum (Atlantic Period, 8000-5000 BC), huge deposits of tufa formed from karst springs.[citation needed] Important geotopes are found at the Swabian Alb, mainly in valleys at the foremost northwest ridge of the cuesta; in many valleys of the eroded periphery of the karstic Franconian Jura; at the northern Alpine foothills; and the northern Karst Alps. On a smaller scale, these karst processes are still working. Travertine has been an important building material since the Middle Ages. " - Wikipedia, Travertine

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

, huge deposits of tufa formed from karst springs.[

Had a feeling it would come in bulk.