Peace river mammal tooth

Conner8484

I found this in the peace river a while back, it’s worn and a bit beat but worth a shot I guess. I think it’s a mammal tooth of some kind 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not so much a "chip" as the connection to the other half of this bicuspid tooth. Very worn down but this reminds me of the Dire Wolf (Canus dirus) teeth that are a bit of a rarity in the Peace River.

@Harry Pristis could give a definitive ruling on this one.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

20 minutes ago, digit said:

Not so much a "chip" as the connection to the other half of this bicuspid tooth. Very worn down but this reminds me of the Dire Wolf (Canus dirus) teeth that are a bit of a rarity in the Peace River.

@Harry Pristis could give a definitive ruling on this one.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the input! That would be a dream come true, I’ve never found anything from a land carnivore 

It's a trip-maker for sure if that's what it turns out to be. I've only found one Dire Wolf tooth in 12 years of hunting the Peace.

Let's see what Harry says.

Cheers.

-Ken

Update: I also posted this on Instagram, two people have suggested a dire wolf premolar but I can’t seem to find an example online 

Based on the reference images, I could sure see it being the partial dire-wolf hoped for. Of course, my opinion and $4.99 might get  you a cup of modern coffee. Regardless, it looks like a cool find. Good luck.

19 minutes ago, MrR said:

Based on the reference images, I could sure see it being the partial dire-wolf hoped for. Of course, my opinion and $4.99 might get  you a cup of modern coffee. Regardless, it looks like a cool find. Good luck.

Now let me see, $4.99 and your opinion...

Hey, that's almost $5.00! ;)

6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Now let me see, $4.99 and your opinion...

Hey, that's about $5.00! ;)

Do you think I should revalue my opinion? Mark it to market, so to speak? :headscratch:OK then, make it an even --My WAG + $5.00--.

WikipediaDireWolfdentition.JPG.fb9a064676d16e1e2cad34f1f0efc89c.JPG

Relatively new on the forum, you likely do not know that @Harry Pristis created the photo that you found on the internet and is an expert on Peace River predator teeth. I am relatively sloppy (close approximation) on fossil IDs,  so if Harry can not identify, it makes me cautious.

You have a predator tooth fragment.  I look at the root and think "dire wolf",  but I can not match up the crown. So, on the M1 above, there is a steep drop to the plateau and the root is directly under the endpoint of that "drop"... there are not 2 plateaus, as in your find. 

Here is a photo of a Dire wolf skull that sold at auction.  It does not show roots which would be very helpful.   Jack

Edited by Shellseeker
Edit to add Wikipedia Drawing

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm feeling some pressure to offer a guess about this fragmentary tooth.  In fact, the strongest impression I get from the tooth is jaguar premolar.  That's not an identification, simply an impression.

cat_jaguar_patho.JPG.d46f10fb246069dbec1cbb3e7ed82406.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Ah, that's a line of inquiry I hadn't considered. Some good images for comparison and a new area for research.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Conner.  I believe your tooth is the lower right P4 of a jaguar.  You have the posterior 2/3ds of it.  Being partial and quite worn from a lifetime of use makes this a challenging ID specimen.    What an exciting find, and congratulations.  

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

17 hours ago, 5 Humper said:

Hi Conner.  I believe your tooth is the lower right P4 of a jaguar.  You have the posterior 2/3ds of it.  Being partial and quite worn from a lifetime of use makes this a challenging ID specimen.    What an exciting find, and congratulations.  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the ID!