Conodonts beside an unidentified item

KCMOfossil

Can someone help me identify the item that is with these two conodonts?  My guess is a fish scale.  This is from the Stark Shale, Dennis Formation, Kansas City Group.  The conodonts are 2mm or so and the specimen is 7mm.  I am intrigued by the surface of the "shell" which is a bit crab-like (I'm not saying I think it is crab, but that the item's shell has that kind of texture).  I've included pictures of both the item and its external mold on the other half of the split shale.  Let me know what you think.

Russ

5c4cdcf245150_1912614132547(2).thumb.jpg.3ab203e68793a72b7454c5ace5b627c6.jpg5c4cdd3c2588d_19126142137876(2).thumb.jpg.9d96ed74af43cf586ae99858233c05eb.jpg5c4cdd63efb91_19126141429740(2).thumb.jpg.dc46d7994a02cc0bdf4b8def59a09432.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The conodont is supe

Thanks, I really enjoy them and the other items I occasionally find in the shale here.  

Russ

What about an eggcase?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

What about an eggcase?

Thanks for mentioning this possibility.  I am unfamiliar with egg cases.  If it is an egg case, what might it be from, a fish?  

Russ

16 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

If it is an egg case, what might it be from, a fish?

I'm not familiar with the fauna of Stark Shale, Dennis Formation, Kansas City Group, but sharks, skates and chimaeras have egg cases.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

sharks, skates and chimaeras have egg cases.

Thanks, I will look at these.  I still need to find a good list of flora and fauna of the Stark Shale (specifically, the lower portion consisting of  black shale).  The few lists I have at hand mention conodonts and plant remains, but I need to search some more. 

Thanks again,

Russ

I just found this put up a few years ago by @Missourian  

Lots of good information here.  The only thing I see in that post that might match my specimen is a fragment of a shrimp.