Is this a genuine Tyrannosaurus rex bone

Oxalaia

It is definitely a Theropoda material.

It looks like a tibia, and the specimen in question here really has similarities with the tibia of a Tyrannosaurus rex:

image.png.39f9cd87d3642051519ac61f4cc7470b.png

But in my opinion, basic similarities is not enough to establish a good ID. The curvature of the bone is not the same as a Tyrannosaurus, and in my opinion may be the tibia of any other Theropod.

In order to go beyond this, and that I can help more effectively, the origin of this specimen is indispensable, otherwise we will be giving many turns in mere conjectures.

• I found this Informative 7

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

4 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

It looks like a tibia, and the specimen in question here really has similarities with the tibia of a Tyrannosaurus rex:

But in my opinion, basic similarities is not enough to establish a good ID. The curvature of the bone is not the same as a Tyrannosaurus, and in my opinion may be the tibia of any other Theropod.

In order to go beyond this, and that I can help more effectively, the origin of this specimen is indispensable, otherwise we will be giving many turns in mere conjectures.

3 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Do you have a locality and formation where this bone was found?  

Hell Creek formation montana

Being this specimen from Hell Creek Formation, and checking other sources, this seems to be quite promising when compared to the specimen deposited in the collection of The Dinosaur Discovery Museum:

image.png.a66abbb85e39ccdba961da806273cc02.png

The curvature may be wrong because the bone is broken, so it is likely that this tibia possessed this morphology:

image.png.5cbe2c28ba108b2e62bfa199ae581afc.png

And here a simple reconstitution:

image.png.911b4ac94344e49b1f6ff69184b0a423.png

Yes, it's real, and I agree with what was labeled. In my opinion it is a tibia of a young Tyrannosaurus rex.

• I found this Informative 4

03.PNG

I do not claim to be an expert on bones from the Hell Creek especially partial ones since they look very similar.    So its best to get the advice from a real expert on Trex and in this case its Pete Larsen of the Black Hills institute.  I emailed him earlier today, he's quick to support the collector community and already responded.  He does not believe its a Tyrannosaurid but instead an Oviraptorid most likely Anzu wyliei.    Very typical of what you see from the Kem Kem everything there is labeled Spinosaurus.  

31 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

I do not claim to be an expert on bones from the Hell Creek especially partial ones since they look very similar.    So its best to get the advice from a real expert on Trex and in this case its Pete Larsen of the Black Hills institute.  I emailed him earlier today, he's quick to support the collector community and already responded.  He does not believe its a Tyrannosaurid but instead an Oviraptorid most likely Anzu wyliei.    Very typical of what you see from the Kem Kem everything there is labeled Spinosaurus.  

You really emailed Pete Larson for this? Nice and thank you. He surely knows what he is talking about. Yea that is true.

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Being this specimen from Hell Creek Formation, and checking other sources, this seems to be quite promising when compared to the specimen deposited in the collection of The Dinosaur Discovery Museum:

image.png.a66abbb85e39ccdba961da806273cc02.png

The curvature may be wrong because the bone is broken, so it is likely that this tibia possessed this morphology:

image.png.5cbe2c28ba108b2e62bfa199ae581afc.png

And here a simple reconstitution:

image.png.911b4ac94344e49b1f6ff69184b0a423.png

Yes, it's real, and I agree with what was labeled. In my opinion it is a tibia of a young Tyrannosaurus rex.

It does look simular but the ddm one is a alot bigger. Isnt ddm where Dr. Thomas Carr works?

7 minutes ago, Oxalaia said:

It does look simular but the ddm one is a alot bigger. Isnt ddm where Dr. Thomas Carr works?

The morphology is not compatible with Oviraptorid Anzu wyliei:

image.png.0df72b672c43585d321d062cb8feecc1.png

In addition, all the typical structures of a Therapod are present:

image.png.fafb084254d082e9a4a1ab1ea6f206d2.png

So ... It's a rather strange case here.

If it really is the bone of an Oviraptorid, then I still have a lot to learn.

• I found this Informative 3

03.PNG

Not trying to hijack the post. I was just curious why my post on this was edited. The reason for asking if it was for sale from a reputable person was to maybe help speed up the identification process if it was being offered by someone who knew what they were talking about. That was all. So I apologize if I broke a rule 

21 hours ago, Oxalaia said:

Is this a real T-rex Tibia/femur? It is 5.5 inches long

14 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

10 hours ago, Oxalaia said:

Hell Creek formation montana

2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

1 hour ago, Oxalaia said:

From the DDM website:  "Vertebrate Paleontologist Dr. Thomas Carr is a Carthage College (located in Kenosha) faculty member and senior scientific adviser to the Dinosaur Discovery Museum"

1 hour ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

The morphology is not compatible with Oviraptorid Anzu wyliei:

image.png.0df72b672c43585d321d062cb8feecc1.png

In addition, all the typical structures of a Therapod are present:

image.png.fafb084254d082e9a4a1ab1ea6f206d2.png

So ... It's a rather strange case here.

If it really is the bone of an Oviraptorid, then I still have a lot to learn.

It is certainly a theropod long bone but hard to narrow down much more, I am leaning toward femur over tibia. The overall morphology is similar to oviraptor so I can see where Pete is coming from, and oviraptorid is within theropoda. Personally, I would not narrow this down that much however Pete could be spot on. Hard to say from just those pics what the correct reconstruction would be. Sorry but I would disagree with your reconstruction @Seguidora-de-Isis, the bone is weathered but doubt the original shape matches what you added, there is a smooth area on the most distal end of the bone which indicates it does not start to extend laterally there. See below for what I mean.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a036ac696a7ba0c55c48dc102a661ad9 - Copy.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Just now, CBchiefski said:

... Sorry but I would disagree with your reconstruction @Seguidora-de-Isis,...

Very good my dear friend! Thanks for the wonderfull informations! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

This certainly looks like a distal tibia of a theropod.  I am not going to say which one, though.  Pete Larsen is pretty good t this stuff, so I tend to just nod and say yes when he is involved.