Pseudogygites latimarginatus trilobites from Ontario for shark teeth

britishcanuk

I have these two Pseudogygites latimarginatus trilobites from Craigleith, Ontario that I would like to trade for fossil shark teeth. I’m looking for anything interesting, let me know what you have. Thanks for looking!

C5236FF7-A04F-4DA2-AB3B-707093EC9EB8.jpeg

C2D0CC46-A928-4042-8557-17216842294D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

If they were complete I’d trade. Quality fossils get quality trades. :-)

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

8 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Just FYI, these are essentially complete for this species and location. One might wade through several thousands of moulted pygidia before landing a complete specimen. Also, the well known productive localities in the Craigleith/Collingwood area prohibit collecting as they are either part of the provincial park, or on private property (with posted signs warning would-be collectors to not trespass). Many excellent examples of this species in the collection of the Royal Ontario Museum were found at this location. Today, even some of the more "secret" spots are largely tapped out, and the lakeshore is almost entirely developed. 

Other locations that have this species, such as near Oshawa and in Ottawa, are not easy to access. In the upper Cobourg/Lindsay Fm, their preservation is more 3D, but access is limited. In the Whitby Fm, expect to go through serious volumes of shale in order to find complete ones. 

Also, it is not exactly polite to criticize the quality of a member's offering; if you're not interested, simply pass without comment. ;) 

• I found this Informative 11

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Has anyone taken you up on this at all? 

What types of teeth are you looking for? I have a ton of teeth from Maryland, but nothing super exciting honestly. I am interested in these, but am not sure how I can win you over. PM me if you'd like, I can send some photos of things. I have an awful lot of different fossils. Perhaps I can find something that might strike your fancy.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

These specimens are actually quite nice!  :) 

Wish I had some shark teeth to trade. 

C2D0CC46-A928-4042-8557-17216842294D.thumb.jpeg.3ded1ac2c4c72d15341ec9eadc716984.jpeg   C5236FF7-A04F-4DA2-AB3B-707093EC9EB8.thumb.jpeg.22c76f41af9592bc913b203e4f360001.jpeg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I agree with Tim. 

I'd have snatched them up if I had any spare shark's teeth. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 3/6/2019 at 12:34 AM, Fossil-Hound said:

You must be fortunate to live in an area where perfect trilobites abound.  As Kane said, partials far outnumber complete Pseudogites, and collecting sites are either off limits (Craigleith, Bowmanville) or are very transient construction sites (Ottawa).  The two specimens on offer are quite nice.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

On 2019-03-06 at 1:34 AM, Fossil-Hound said:

Thanks for looking! I had a look at your gallery, I don’t think you have anything I’d be interested in anyways so no worries. Cheers :)

• I found this Informative 1

On 2019-03-06 at 7:06 AM, Kane said:

Just FYI, these are essentially complete for this species and location. One might wade through several thousands of moulted pygidia before landing a complete specimen. Also, the well known productive localities in the Craigleith/Collingwood area prohibit collecting as they are either part of the provincial park, or on private property (with posted signs warning would-be collectors to not trespass). Many excellent examples of this species in the collection of the Royal Ontario Museum were found at this location. Today, even some of the more "secret" spots are largely tapped out, and the lakeshore is almost entirely developed. 

Other locations that have this species, such as near Oshawa and in Ottawa, are not easy to access. In the upper Cobourg/Lindsay Fm, their preservation is more 3D, but access is limited. In the Whitby Fm, expect to go through serious volumes of shale in order to find complete ones. 

Also, it is not exactly polite to criticize the quality of a member's offering; if you're not interested, simply pass without comment. ;) 

PM sent, cheers :)

11 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Still interested!

11 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Still interested!

Pm sent, cheers :)

I have been collecting teeth in SW Florida with JCBShark for a few years now on our annual trip to get out of winter. Peace River finds are what is typically brought home. If interested, let me know. I do not think they are special (as in rare) but are nice. I could talk JCBShark into going after cookie cutter shark teeth if that interests you. They are not found routinely. Will be in Florida in 2 weeks so need to know soon if that is something you would like.

Mike

19 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

Thanks for looking! I had a look at your gallery, I don’t think you have anything I’d be interested in anyways so no worries. Cheers :)

Don't assume that's all I have because it's certainly not all I have. That's just the tip of the iceberg. In fact I post hardly anything to collections.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

• 11 months later...

Can you give a suggestion as to what kind of shark teeth you want? Several member have offered what they have and you have passed them up. If you gave more details about what you want you might get someone interested in the trade.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Can you give a suggestion as to what kind of shark teeth you want? Several member have offered what they have and you have passed them up. If you gave more details about what you want you might get someone interested in the trade.

Is there a certain age or type of shark you are aiming for?

On 2020-02-20 at 7:32 AM, Shamalama said:

On 2020-02-20 at 7:37 AM, caldigger said:

Is there a certain age or type of shark you are aiming for?

I am particularly interested in;

Cretoxyrhina spp.

Cardabiodon spp.

Dwardius app.

Megalolamna 

O. auriculatus, angustidens, chubutensis, meg 

C. hastalis, hubbelli, carcharias 

Alopias grandis

Trigonotodus alteri

Alopias palatasi

North American Palaeocarcharodon

North American Otodus obliquus 

I’d also be interested in anything unusual or scarce (ie Edestus). If what you have is worth more than my trilobites, I’m happy to balance it out with money.

I’m not as interested in abundant species from commonly collected areas. Thanks for looking :)