A few prepped trilobites from Oklahoma

Al Tahan

Hey everyone,

I got to prep a few of my Oklahoma trilobites yesterday and they didn’t come out too bad. It was my first time ever and I did make some mistakes but it’s ok they are mine anyway lol.  I hope I can do more prep. I have so many more I want to uncover :). I messed around with a few lower quality specimens and I had a hard time figuring out the machine so I didn’t get a lot done. I did learn a lot and hopefully I’ll get to do more sometime. I’m going to attach some “transformation” photos as well.

146F602E-06D2-4621-95D9-F8A643D20C9F.jpeg

A6EE8A90-B4E5-4FB4-9975-B2279117BE9B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

I prepped 2 rollers. This one and another you can see in the “lot photo”. This one Leon actually found and gave to me to make sure I had good loot. Good guy. I do like to find my own stuff but I couldn’t say no haha. 

The two shows each side unprepped and the bottom shows the end product. I’m no pro but I was happy with it. 

F471A606-67CC-4104-BD12-7A6E8A79FB63.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I love this Kettneraspis!!! Sadly a good portion of the cephalon is missing but I’m still loving this spiny fella!! I can’t wait to go back and find more of these someday. Prepping this made me want to go back so bad!! I have a taste but I want the whole thing :) 

AE3A5BB8-0487-4820-B63E-AFD9CBD18A52.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

This is my best specimen I found I think. I found this during my last minute effort. I thought I had to go and my fiancée texted and told me I didn’t have to return my rental that day....good thing because I found this.

It was so dang buried....it took forever to uncover and I didn’t want to mess it up either. If you look close you can see where I “burned” a lot of my trilobites. If you look close you can see it but again it was my first time ever so I’ll take it lol. 

I think this is Viaphacops? I was trying to look it up but I’m getting confused. I swore Leon said paciphacops but now I’m not sure. Is Viaphacops an updated genus?

Anyway, thought I would share a few specimens I got to prep up. I also cut up bulky specimens in my Buffalo cephalopod collection. I may share my cephalopods from Buffalo on the share thread at some point :) 

Thanks for reading,

Al :trilo:

7E8661C6-CBEB-4430-AECE-933FBEA2A172.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Hey everyone,

I got to prep a few of my oaklahoma trilobites yesterday and they didn’t come out too bad. It was my first time ever and I did make some mistakes but it’s ok they are mine anyway lol.  I hope I can do more prep. I have so many more I want to uncover :). I messed around with a few lower quality specimens and I had a hard time figuring out the machine so I didn’t get a lot done. I did learn a lot and hopefully I’ll get to do more sometime. I’m going to attach some “transformation” photos as well.

146F602E-06D2-4621-95D9-F8A643D20C9F.jpeg

Nice phacopid trilobites :) Are they Paciphacops?

Good prepwork, by the way!

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks! @Darktooth @DatFossilBoy@The Amateur Paleontologist @Tidgy's Dad

Im trying to find out 100% which phacopid it is. I’m not in a good place so sit an research I’m on the way to a fundraiser. I posted this quick before the car ride. At a rest stop now! Ha. I’ll find out for sure once I get home unless a forum member chimes in 

Great finds, Al. Nice prep work, too. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice work

I like how you ''freed'' them!:trilo:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

So far so good, though the Kettneraspis is a bit of a disappointment. Thanks for sharing your prep efforts and good luck with the rest. I have a bunch of those Theisen Quarry phacopids too and IDing them will, I'm sure, be a big challenge.