Hey! I have kind of an odd question. I am purchasing a fossil for a friend as a birthday gift -- between a tip of a mammoth tusk, or a section of mosasaur jaw with teeth. 

What makes this unique, however, is that we are traveling to the British Virgin Islands (from the United States) for said birthday and I would like to be able to gift the fossil on the birthday instead of waiting until she returns home as we live in different states and I would only be able to ship it to her house and not be there. I am concerned, however, about bringing the fossils with me on the trip as I have heard nightmares about customs causing long hold ups or seizing fossils. 

Does anyone have any advice on this? 

Thanks! 

Not to mention she will have to go through the same type of nightmares getting it back into the U.S. when she returns.

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Not to mention she will have to go through the same type of nightmares getting it back into the U.S. when she returns.

Well, quite. Hence the request for advice. 

Really doesn't seem worth the risk for either of you. Especially since larger fossils often raise more attention. Also, you might want to post a picture of the mosasaur jaw here, they are more often than not fake.

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Really doesn't seem worth the risk for either of you. Especially since larger fossils often raise more attention. Also, you might want to post a picture of the mosasaur jaw here, they are more often than not fake.

Thanks for the tip!