Shark Teeth to identify

jezza

We found these teeth in Malta where fossils are quite rare. 

This is my first find so its quite exiting to know what they are.

After some research I have a feeling they are Megalodon but I would like someone to confirm my conclusion. I am able to post some more pics if required.

Thanks in advance

Jezz

IMG_5726.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

They are from a species of Mega shark but could possibly be from angustidens or auriculatus. The smaller tooth appears to have a remnant of a cusp that has been broken off m. Do you know the time period of the location?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi Darktooth,

Thanks for the info. The teeth were found in the below clay formation.

Blue Clay Formation

Blue Clay Formation exposed in the cliffs at the northern end of Ġnejna Bay overlying yellow-weathering Upper Globigerina Limestone The Blue Clay (Maltese: Tafal) is a blue-gray mudstone of Langhian to Tortonian in age (~15–10 million years old) measuring up to 65 m thick. It shows major thickness variations and is missing completely from most of the eastern parts of the islands.[1] It was deposited in a deepwater environment. It forms an impermeable layer beneath the Greensand and Upper Coralline Limestone formations. It is most visible in the northwest of Malta and the northeast of Gozo. It allows the capture of rainfall and the creation of aquifers. Water is extracted through wells or escapes through occasional springs when the topsoil has been eroded.[7]

Nice finds!  Great to find megalodon teeth in a place where fossils are uncommon.  Guessing they roamed all over the globe, but they may difficult to date. or even be certain of the exact ID without the cusps or details at the roots, but still a great find.  

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Great finds.:)

Congratulations and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, jezza said:

Hi Darktooth,

Thanks for the info. The teeth were found in the below clay formation.

Blue Clay Formation

Blue Clay Formation exposed in the cliffs at the northern end of Ġnejna Bay overlying yellow-weathering Upper Globigerina Limestone The Blue Clay (Maltese: Tafal) is a blue-gray mudstone of Langhian to Tortonian in age (~15–10 million years old) measuring up to 65 m thick. It shows major thickness variations and is missing completely from most of the eastern parts of the islands.[1] It was deposited in a deepwater environment. It forms an impermeable layer beneath the Greensand and Upper Coralline Limestone formations. It is most visible in the northwest of Malta and the northeast of Gozo. It allows the capture of rainfall and the creation of aquifers. Water is extracted through wells or escapes through occasional springs when the topsoil has been eroded.[7]

The age of the mudstone puts it in the Miocene. What size are the teeth? They are great for your first fossil find.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, jezza said:

We found these teeth in Malta where fossils are quite rare. 

This is my first find so its quite exiting to know what they are.

After some research I have a feeling they are Megalodon but I would like someone to confirm my conclusion. I am able to post some more pics if required.

Thanks in advance

Jezz

Jezz,

Welcome to TFF. It is a great place for fossil hunters.

You might find this older TFF thread valuable in identifying your teeth.  Your teeth might be Megalodon or Chubutensis,  or some related shark like angustidens or auriculatus .  It is great to understand the path to Identification. :D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hello jezza, 

The presence of a bourlette indicates your fossils belong to one of the mega-toothed sharks. The bourlette is the v-shaped patch of enamel found between the blade and the root.