snakebite6769

In search of the elusive isotelus

snakebite6769

For the month of March I will be in Ohio working and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find some Ohio trilobites. Even partial large isotelus and flexis are fine. Maybe an Ohio crinoid as well.  I hope someone can help and maybe even meet up and we can collect together! 

Herb

road cuts along SR42 near Spring Valley Lake

smt126

You could always hop over the border into Indiana. I’m making a trip to Indiana and Ohio for some fossiling this summer for 2 to 3 days. Southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana roadcuts seem to have some great promise. Do a search on the st Leon roadcut on here.

snakebite6769
11 hours ago, smt126 said:

You could always hop over the border into Indiana. I’m making a trip to Indiana and Ohio for some fossiling this summer for 2 to 3 days. Southwest Ohio and southeast Indiana roadcuts seem to have some great promise. Do a search on the st Leon roadcut on here.

I have been to saint Leon a couple times but not had much luck with the isotelus other than fractions. I have a bunch of calymene and another type from there from years ago. I might just have the family and I take a Fossil collecting vacation this spring before things get picked over 

hrguy54

I have to say that Isotelus bits and pieces are what is overwhelmingly found. Extremely lucky to the nth degree if you find a complete one. If someone responds to you in this thread where to find complete ones, they won't be there for very long.

snakebite6769
On 2/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, hrguy54 said:

I have to say that Isotelus bits and pieces are what is overwhelmingly found. Extremely lucky to the nth degree if you find a complete one. If someone responds to you in this thread where to find complete ones, they won't be there for very long.

That’s why I was asking if someone wanted to get together. I am respectful of people’s locations. I have collected with a few people and if they ask not to divulge the information, or go back to a place without them I respect that. I have a few of my own places that I have shared and one unfortunately lost access to because someone went in and collected without permission, and left a mess. I will just continue to do research and hope for the best. Especially since I’m covered with snow atm in the northeast. 

I would be happy to find partial small isotelus, it’s just my favorite “bug”. I have never collected in Ohio. 

taj

Well ,  I know of a place up north where you are sure to find flexys , plus maybe Isotelus , but I guess it's a bit far for you ( plus probably buried under 25 cm of snow...):DGood luck  for your hunt !

Al Tahan
On 2/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, taj said:

Well ,  I know of a place up north where you are sure to find flexys , plus maybe Isotelus , but I guess it's a bit far for you ( plus probably buried under 25 cm of snow...):DGood luck  for your hunt !

You mean Canada?

taj

yep , Quebec to be precise !

snakebite6769

I have a passport and trusted license. I will be planning a trip soon and I would love to come back to Canada ! I went to the museum in Alberta last time. 

Kane

And we'd love to have you up here. :) If you find yourself in Ontario, let me know.

Al Tahan
14 hours ago, taj said:

yep , Quebec to be precise !

Oh nice! I have some cousins in Quebec and my fiancé has cousins in Toronto. I hope to make it to Canada to collect sometime in the next couple years. Bucket list

taj

Done deal then , we should still be there at that time :)

snakebite6769
22 hours ago, Kane said:

And we'd love to have you up here. :) If you find yourself in Ontario, let me know.

Thanks, Will do kane! I hope we can get over to penn dixie again because we did some damage last time we were there. Btw, nice drawings you do of your Fossils man. 

ClearLake

The best complete one I have is from Caesars Creek.  Yes, I know it is popular and plenty looked at, but most of the complete trilobites are small and most of the folks that go there don't really put their "nose to the ground" and you cant beat the accessibility.  Head towards the back where fewer people go, its a pretty big place.  Also, check out the Dry Dredgers website and see where they are finding them, if you haven't done that already.  Good luck!  The whole area is a great place to hunt!

I just noticed that you were going in March, oh well, I'm a little late!!  How did it go @snakebite6769?

snakebite6769

I stopped at a few random road cuts, found half of a Eurypterid, and a tail spine set and mandible from a phyllocarid. Also picked up half of the set of Hall paleontology of NY books for next to nothing. So all in all a good trip but the collecting succumbed to rain and snow most of the time I was out in Ny.