Missouri marine fossil ID

JasT

Hello, Thanks to all for identifying my first of three 'mystery' fossil finds in Jackson County, Missouri. This second item keeps appearing in the chert used for landscaping at a building several decades old. As before I've been unable to identify it by photos on the internet for comparison. Any idea what they may be? I didn't want to break one in half and disturb the integrity of the piece. Thanks again.

IMG_E3678[1].JPG

8 minutes ago, JasT said:

I didn't want to break one in half and disturb the integrity of the piece.

I have found items similar to these in the Kansas City area.  I think most of them are concretions and I have cracked open some of them with the hope of finding a fossil inside.  Nothing identifiable yet, but I think it is possible that some harbor fossils within.

Russ

I don't think these types of chert nodules/concretions will necessarily have fossils inside.  I think these are the result of ancient river tumbling.

• I found this Informative 3

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Fascinating, I’m tempted to break one in half to see. The bottom right specimen appears to exhibit something inside from the exposed “debri”, so I believe you are right with the concretion scenario.  If and when I have the right tools to make a clean break, I will post an update photo. Thank you all in your interest. Interesting just what you can find in your backyard.

23 minutes ago, JasT said:

tempted to break one in half

The 2 on top may cleave open but the bottom 3 (which I think, are chert) may shatter so be careful.

Safety glasses! :)

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs