readinghiker

I want to tap into all of the expertise that is on this site again!  I am doing research on a faunal assemblage of the Coniacian age from north central New Mexico.
It is quite a large grouping, with over 12,000 teeth from over 25 species.  I am currently working on
scapanorhynchus, and am looking for some guidance.  Some of the teeth have labial plications, and 
Cicimurri et. al. argues that this is most likely due to ontogenetic reasons.  However, this paper is the
only one I can find that even mentions labial plications on Western Interior Seaway scapanorhynchids.
Do you have any thoughts about this?
 Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, readinghiker said:

I want to tap into all of the expertise that is on this site again!  I am doing research on a faunal assemblage of the Coniacian age from north central New Mexico.
It is quite a large grouping, with over 12,000 teeth from over 25 species.  I am currently working on
scapanorhynchus, and am looking for some guidance.  Some of the teeth have labial plications, and 
Cicimurri et. al. argues that this is most likely due to ontogenetic reasons.  However, this paper is the
only one I can find that even mentions labial plications on Western Interior Seaway scapanorhynchids.
Do you have any thoughts about this?
 Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Meyer(1974) separated S. raphiodon and S. texanus on the basis of labial folds.  This is discussed in Bourdon et al. (2011).

Bourdon, J., K. Wright, S.G. Lucas, J.A. Spielmann, and R. Pence.  2011.

Selachians from the Upper Cretaceous (Santonian) Hosta Tongue of the Point Lookout Sandstone, central New Mexico. New Mex. Mus. Nat. His. and Sc., Bulletin 52; 54 pp.

Meyer, R., 1974.

Late Cretaceous elasmobranchs from the Mississippi and East Texas Embayments of the Gulf Coastal Plain. Unpublished PhD dissertation, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, xiv+419 p

• I found this Informative 3