Stands for fossils

Fossil Claw

I just send it to start making some stands for my fossils.

This is my first one. It's a very simple one.

I bought some brass rod at the craft store and decide it it was way too flimsy and not up to the task.

so I went into the closet and pulled out a coat hanger that had plenty of patina on it.

None of their decided coat hangers to the right materials I did a post on Facebook asking for people's old hangers.  I'm going to cut all the straight portions of the hangers and keep them and toss out the rest.  Soon I will be swimming in free wire to make fossil stands. And the older coat hangers have better color to them and brand new brass. You can get the pre-cut wood plaques and hobby lobby or Michaels for about $0.75.

I very lightly staind the wood because I'm one of the possible to stand out.  

You can easily make these for under a dollar apiece without even having to cut the wood.  

Next will be time to see winter coat hanger solder together very well for more intricate stands. 

IMG_20190129_155641-2277x3036.jpg

IMG_20190129_155702-2277x3036.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Now that I I know I can make nice stands for less than a $1 using all that free coat hanger wire I'm getting from people on Facebook I will probably never buy a stand again.

Looks really nice , you done a great job. Does it sit firmly and safely? Are your wife’s clothes now on the floor of the wardrobe? :D

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Looks really nice , you done a great job. Does it sit firmly and safely? Are your wife’s clothes now on the floor of the wardrobe? :D

Yes it fits safely because is was made to fit exactly the way I wantwd the fossil to stand.

I like the plint, museum style!:bone:

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

4 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

Yes it fits safely because is was made to fit exactly the way I wantwd the fossil to stand.

Yes brilliant I only asked because I was thinking the fossil may slip of the sides. I like how your fossil stands up.  I also make my own stand too. :dinothumb:

40 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes brilliant I only asked because I was thinking the fossil may slip of the sides. I like how your fossil stands up.  I also make my own stand too. :dinothumb:

In joints in the horse leg are stuck together with museum wax. This will hold the fossil together. And then the angle and the weight of gravity should hold the fossil employees just like any other stand.

1 minute ago, Fossil Claw said:

In joints in the horse leg are stuck together with museum wax. This will hold the fossil together. And then the angle and the weight of gravity should hold the fossil employees just like any other stand.

Cool thank you I could not see the museum wax. It is fun to make your own stands and it gives you the freedom to display you collection the way you want it to look. The wooden base is really a good price too.