Spinosaur partial dentary, new find, Sussex Wealden, U.K, 135 million years old

Jonwealden

This weekend i made a very lucky find, in the process of cleaning up. Photo's to follow soon.

I was very emotional when i picked it up and almost at once saw it was Spinosaur.

It mind sound odd ( maybe other fossil hunters may relate to this),  that a minute  before finding it, i had a strong feeling come across me, of something special nearby.

I have identified it as the anterior part of the dentary of a Spinosaur, just before the rostrum begins. There is an eroded partial tooth showing at one end.  Maybe more inside the mandibular section. A scan would confirm this. 

Its 9 cm long,  5.3 cm high and 2.5 cm wide (the corresponding section being a little larger than Baryonyx, which is much younger than this, 125 versus 135 MYA)

As far as i know, this would be only the second Spinosaur dentary on the UK mainland, other than the Holotype  Baryonyx Walkeri. The isle of Wight  (115-125MYA) has had the recent discovery of two Baryonyx , which does have a partial dentary.

• I found this Informative 18

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

Great Googly Moogly! What an incredible find...I'm chuffed for you.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Come on Dude, you can't post a topic like this and not have the pics ready! :faint:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, Birdman said:

Well done. It's a super find. Very special. The exposed tooth looks interesting. definitely Spino!

So have you seen photos, or the actual specimen?  

Don

Thanks for comments guys. 

I just need to prep some matrix off the lingual side. But here are some images of the cleaner aspects.

T = tooth tip.  R = tooth remnant.  Outlined is the 3cm eroded tooth.   Inside the jaw section could be more teeth, of course, a scan would reveal this.

A circular cavity / pneumatic can be seen under the socket cavity.

On the left side (under the matrix) is the lingual Mekelian groove, shown as a bite into the edge.

IMG_9294.thumb.JPG.3b474a631b250c743e794a0822a90c0a.JPG

Two foramen.

Five tooth sockets.

IMG_9309.thumb.JPG.54620d2a46a207f5ef96296ec37c2953.JPG

IMG_9308.thumb.JPG.1b98f3b8fc342c6d46b16e3fe4282488.JPG

• I found this Informative 18
  • Enjoyed 2

Nice find mate, well done.  

I was wondering if you are aware of any further updates on the the sail of the Spinosaurs?  I.e. have there been any further updates on the use of the sail?  

The last I heard it was used for display during mating or heat regulating purposes...I wondered if it couldn't be both.  When were lying in under water or swimming to catch fish beneath the surface, maybe the sail protruded out the water to regulate its temp.

When out the water, the colors could help attract a mate or even determine sex.

Wow! That's truly amazing :D  :yay-smiley-1:

Congrats on finding that!!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks guys.

Vallen, i think the sail purpose was probably temperature regulation.  

Regarding colourful, whilst it would serve an attraction to a mate,  i think bright colours on a theropod would be detrimental to its lifestyle of hunting,  being made more obvious.to its prey. 

I think Spinosaurs didn't just stick to fishing (where the sail wouldn't be so obvious to underwater creatures) and that they were likely to go for anything do-able they could ambush !

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 2:40 AM, FossilDAWG said:

So have you seen photos, or the actual specimen?  

Don

Sorry, only just seen this. For now what it's worth, I was privileged a sneak preview of some pics. Am looking forward to seeing the specimen in the flesh....or bone...or mineral.

This is amazing and such a good find have you taken this to the museum this is potentially a new species don't know if they could make a holotype out of just a partial jaw but it is a possibility.

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

This is amazing and such a good find have you taken this to the museum this is potentially a new species don't know if they could make a holotype out of just a partial jaw but it is a possibility.

I have researched  this for myself, yes it could be, it's over 10 million years before Walkeri. There are holotypes based on isolated teeth and this jaw could have more erupting teeth hidden inside.  I'm just glad i found it before it was lost to the elements, 

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Masp, Ludwigia.  Birdman.  Hoping for more favourable weather to expose the beaches here, its been a very poor season. Too settled. A lot of sand cover. But hopefully windy weather will kick in in this locality soon, it's usually pretty windy !

On 1/30/2019 at 4:15 AM, Jonwealden said:

Thanks for comments guys. 

I just need to prep some matrix off the lingual side. But here are some images of the cleaner aspects.

T = tooth tip.  R = tooth remnant.  Outlined is the 3cm eroded tooth.   Inside the jaw section could be more teeth, of course, a scan would reveal this.

A circular cavity / pneumatic can be seen under the socket cavity.

On the left side (under the matrix) is the lingual Mekelian groove, shown as a bite into the edge.

IMG_9294.thumb.JPG.3b474a631b250c743e794a0822a90c0a.JPG

Two foramen.

Five tooth sockets.

IMG_9309.thumb.JPG.54620d2a46a207f5ef96296ec37c2953.JPG  IMG_9308.thumb.JPG.1b98f3b8fc342c6d46b16e3fe4282488.JPG

Wow! This is quite the amazing find! :drool: Well done, my good friend! :D 

Thank you Zapsalis.

As i wrote just now, it's been so poor here, very few exposures here this season. The worst i've known it in 20 years.  

I thought it was ''just'' a  rib bone when i first saw it laying there on its side, then i saw the sockets and was overcome. Its my best Theropod Dinosaur find.. I hold it and think of the amazing animal it belonged to. This is what its about to me. The salvage and then sheer wonder and feeling the fossils invoke in us all as we find them and hold them.