“show us your handmade display stands”

Bobby Rico

Hi all

I thought I would do a “show us your handmade display of stands” . I think it would be beneficial to collate all the wonderful display stands in one thread. If you do contribute to this thread it would be really useful  if you can give some top tips and some pictorial info of how you made it. Also please add some pictures of the beautiful fossil , mineral or any other object you display on them. If you have already made a post and perhaps you would prefer to add a link instead. So if you have got some handmade stands out of wood, drift wood, iron, wire, acrylic , stone or upcycled objects , please don’t hide one’s creativity under a bushel but proudly post here and maybe we can inspire others to be creative. Thank you all Bobby

First up is a very simple but affective way off displaying small objects that you want to display rather than in keep in a draw or acrylic box. The acrylic boxes do keep your fossil clean but sometimes don’t look that great on a shelve in my opinion. 

All you need is a old or interesting tin, a Bobby-pin and cotton wool. 

BC6F3B98-446E-45A6-A093-85959627EDE6.jpeg

2DA7EF84-2C08-48C0-8A21-4E8273BA2172.jpeg

B25F0C4F-9B24-4B32-B653-66430A4B1FA4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

nice and original :)

You don't have a sardine can where you could put a fossil fish in it? that would look great :D

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

Liking it Bobby, you are never short on creativity.

Cheers Doren. I think a lot of artists their houses are their gallery’s . It is bit of fun . Can you show one or two of your cool driftwood stands if you get the chance. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Manticocerasman said:

nice and original :)

You don't have a sardine can where you could put a fossil fish in it? that would look great :D

I think that’s a fantastic fun idea and I have a fish that will probably fits in a sardine tin, As it is your idea I will make one if you do. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

I think that’s a fantastic fun idea and I have a fish that will probably fits in. As it is your idea I make one if you do. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

lol, I dont have fossil fish or an apropriate can, but perhaps I can find an adequate container for cephalopods :)

1 hour ago, Manticocerasman said:

cephalopods

That would work. I find old tins in their own right quite pleasing to look at. Advertising graphics back in the day had a lot less to do, not so much information had to be included “buy me was the only message “. I would like to do some things with old information cards that had fossil glued to but they are to pricey to purchase . 

E36C17D5-3232-49DB-B9C3-33126FF860A3.jpeg

Please make a fossil in a tin display if you get the chance. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Next up is a mini diorama I made to hold a tip of a tusk. I will add a link to the original post.

71EB4FAB-CF87-4F43-9141-CD52DFED4B15.jpeg

25B1A0CE-932D-4F68-906A-77308AB1C0F1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:23 AM, Manticocerasman said:

lol, I dont have fossil fish or an apropriate can, but perhaps I can find an adequate container for cephalopods :)

Sure, I have a lot of those empty "canned squid" containers lying about! :headscratch:

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Sure, I have a lot of those empty "canned squid" containers lying about! :headscratch:

I had some cans with mediteranean squids in tomato saus :P

All right, you asked for it so I'll dig up some photos. Here's a mammoth tusk stand I made from steel. It breaks down into 3 piece for easy transport via the postal service.

IMG_3407.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

copper and zebrawood mount for a recent lion skull.

Really stunning work Kris thank you for sharing. I really like the lion and leopard skull stand , the copper wire really gives it a tribal feel . :dinothumb:

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Here she is on the stand.

IMG_4251.JPG

Very clean and simplistic prefect stand.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Really stunning work Kris thank you for sharing. I really like the lion and leopard skull stand , the copper wire really gives it a tribal feel . :dinothumb:

Thanks. That's what we were going for. The really fun part was experimenting with different chemicals to force the patina.

@Ptychodus04 you have inspired me. I have a part of oreodont skull not a great fossil but it was very cheep and you don’t see them very much on the Uk market. I do really like so I am going make a stand for it in the next few days.  Cheers Bobby 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Ptychodus04 you have inspired me. I have a part of oreodont skull not a great fossil but it was very cheep and you don’t see them very much on the Uk market. I do really like so it so i am going make a stand for it in the next few days.  Cheers Bobby 

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm definitely going to use the sardine/kipper tin idea. That is going to be a great talking piece and I have a box of Knightias that would fit!

8 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm definitely going to use the sardine/kipper tin idea. That is going to be a great talking piece and I have a box of Knightias that would fit!

Me too I hope  there will be over the weekend a few TFF members going to the supermarket holding fossil fish to size them up against mackerel tins. This Strange phenomena maybe seen in a super market by you.  :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2