“show us your handmade display stands”

Bobby Rico

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

I like the idea of the knobbed pegs, what are they from? 

I bought the pegs in a 50 pack and the two inch squares in a 24 pack cheap on online.

The knobbed pegs are actually supposed to be wheel axils for hobby wood cars.

depending on the configuration of the stand and some of them I'm leaving the knobs on and for the other ones I'm cutting the knobs off.

Thank you everyone this thread has got lots of different ideas in it with different skills sets on show. I think it could inspire many members in getting creative with in their fossil displays .   A little more from me on my old iron weights  I found in a skip (dumpster) many years ago, really  too good to go to a landfill site. I think they give a little interest but subtle enough too make a good stand. 

5B5F14A8-D4FF-44D7-951A-7E6CDD0CFAF9.jpeg

3946DCF9-F4B9-4206-AEA5-B252196B149A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

30 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it could inspire many members in getting creative with in their fossil displays . 

It sure does! Ive shown the different display styles on this thread to my husband. He plans on making several for me when he gets the time. :)

• I found this Informative 1

And finally no fossil display in my opinion is complete without a plastic animal in front of it . Mrs R got me this cool buffalo for my birthday, she did tried to get me a bison but they don’t make them. I have placed on my mammal display shelve. I also got a flock of pink flamingo but I don’t know yet want fun I will have with them. Buffalo is just over 2cms. 

E3E13029-638F-4AB0-9677-1D5EECA5246F.jpeg

DA9A4D3E-716B-4C1F-A121-C0F506A23B5D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, BLT said:

It sure does! Ive shown the different display styles on this thread to my husband. He plans on making several for me when he gets the time. :)

Brilliant I am really pleased this thread will help you get some ideas. Please when your husband has made your stands , post here I would love to see them.  :dinothumb:

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

bison but they don’t make them.

I have been informed that is a bison. So Mrs R was right again.:)

I am finding on the three peg configuration depending on the fossil leaving the knobs on all three pegs or just one peg or no pegs varies from fossil fossil.

I have found a theme. Two pegs with no knobs any flush knob in the front center seems to be the most versatile configuration.

Probably 70% how's the fossils and fit best in this configuration so far.

IMG_20190213_114653.jpg

Ok not the best of my photos but my favourite way of display fossil is the Bell Jar. Because I love the wunderkammer style look and dust free. Jaws in the jar display looks pretty nice I think . 

12B2E49E-6F45-474B-A8F8-28389840AB36.jpeg

92BD4268-CFEF-400D-92BB-FC1F218F31C2.jpeg

AED7553C-EF88-41FD-81BF-C6586B083115.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

I made out of clay and layers of varnish a azure blue seascape to base set of the display. Hard to photograph. 

19B35144-EF10-422C-9A93-48755A68E2A1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:38 AM, Bobby Rico said:

I have been informed that is a bison. So Mrs R was right again.:)

Most definitely a bison.

image.png.d118afe67550a219f0b87449a734eccb.png   image.png.a3e1f9cc10a46c8c9e7f8518906b28ad.png

Never doubt the depth of knowledge held by the renown Mrs. R!

20 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Ok not the best of my photos but my favourite way of display fossil is the Bell Jar. Because I love the wunderkammer style look and dust free. Jaws in the jar display looks pretty nice I think . 

12B2E49E-6F45-474B-A8F8-28389840AB36.jpeg  92BD4268-CFEF-400D-92BB-FC1F218F31C2.jpeg  AED7553C-EF88-41FD-81BF-C6586B083115.jpeg

I love this, amazing display piece. Well done Bobby Rico :dinothumb:

56 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Never doubt the depth of knowledge held by the renown Mrs. R!

Just dont doubt it with any woman.

If you do, you will be in deep coprolite!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

knowledge held by the renown Mrs. R!

The little box said buffalo too. Mrs R know her stuff definitely . When I joined the forum, that year I won the grand Christmas auction Hell Creek collection. It came a week before Christmas so I opened excitedly and showed it Mrs R and she said it is very interesting and you can tell they are real teeth . I said how can you tell , she said she has seen Jurassic park 1 and 2 and so it was obvious . She knows her natural history.

9 minutes ago, rebu said:

I love this, amazing display piece. Well done Bobby Rico :dinothumb:

Thank you it dresses up our dinning room nicely. :dinothumb:

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Just dont doubt it witb any woman.

If you do, you will be in deep coprolite!

You can secretly doubt in relative safety but there's still a chance she'll find out and then you're in more trouble.

45 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The little box said buffalo too.

Unfortunately that misnomer has carried on forever implanted in the general public's mind.

Nobody ever calls our old 5 cent piece a "Bison" nickel either.

20190214_111044.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think it maybe like we in the UK call a tortoise and you call it a turtle. 

I call this a water buffalo.

FD5D02D2-6818-4377-BA3D-81811BEDE209.png

18 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it maybe like we in the UK call a tortoise and you call it a turtle. 

I call this a water buffalo.

FD5D02D2-6818-4377-BA3D-81811BEDE209.png

There are some of us here in the west who know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle. :fistbump: Pedantic rant to immediately follow...

"Turtle" is the "common" umbrella name for members of the order Testudinata. Turtles can live on land or in water. Tortoises are "turtles" but are only terrestrial. Bison and buffalo are both members of the order Artiodactyla but neither is a "common" umbrella name for the group. Apparently the only reason people call bison buffalo is the very same reason native Americans were called "Indians"... really dumb explorers.

To Mr. R's point, there are two types of buffalo. Water buffalo who are native to Asia and cape buffalo who are native to Africa. Oh, and there are also two bison, European and North American...

Petantic rant concluded. I feel better. :zen:

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There are some of us here in the west who know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle. :fistbump:

Sorry my friend just generalising terms . Not good to do.  Good information I have corrected my animal data base and good rant btw . :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: I will sit in pedants corner for a wile. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry my friend just generalising terms . Not good to do.  Good information I have corrected my animal data base and good rant btw . :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: I will sit in pedants corner for a wile. 

No offense taken as I know none was intended. My comments were all made with intended humor and with a general bent towards poking fun. The R's are good people, I could never think ill of them.

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

No offense taken as I know none was intended. My comments were all made with intended humor and with a general bent towards poking fun. The R's are good people, I could never think ill of them.

I know just joking around I was. Thanks mate 

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

There are some of us here in the west who know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle........

Petantic rant concluded. I feel better. :zen:

In the spirit of levity and respect, here is my pedantic rant. Having lived in the Dallas area, they may have a western outlook but they are in the eastern half of the US. The midpoint line of the contiguous 48 states is west of Fort Worth. 

There is some dripping irony in your quote: “Pentantic rant...”

Continue to keep us honest Kris. We enjoy it. Without our pedantics, TFF would be empty.

F11C09C9-3740-48E8-9DA9-6E06C7A1F36A.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

There is some dripping irony in your quote: “Pentantic rant...”

That's awesome. I am amazed how our technology can take properly spelled words and "autocorrect" them into gibberish or other totally unintended words and at the same time not catch a spelling error! And people are surprised that I embrace troglodytism. There's a twist for you. I need to change my title from Kilted Villiage Idiot to Kilted Troglodytic Pedant! :blink:

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That's awesome. I am amazed how our technology can take properly spelled words and "autocorrect" them into gibberish or other totally unintended words and at the same time not catch a spelling error! 

I totally agree! I spend more time correcting the autocorrect mistakes than my own.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I totally agree! I spend more time correcting the autocorrect mistakes than my own.

I here you  I myself am really dyslexic and as it happens so is my autocorrect . We do are best and carry on regardless. :)