Winner of the 2018 Invertebrate/Plant Fossil Of The Year

digit

Congratulations to this spectacular find!

And I think, this was the last find of 2018 (12/29/2018) entered for FOTM. So there is hope until near the very last day of the year ;)!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations on your IPFOTY with your spectacular find

Mike

Edited by Mike from North Queensland
spelling

Congrats! Very well deserved :D Your eurypterid is absolutely stunning!!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Beautiful find and well deserving of the win, congrats :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

A marvelous and rare fossil, congrats Al Tahan!

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Just Gorgeous  !!! and from the eurypterid  viewpoint, freed from the darkness. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Congratulations, Al. As a relatively new member, it is customary that the winning fossil is sent and reposited in TFF’s staff museum.

Ok, not really, but we can dream. :D

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Stellar fossil, and worthy of a stellar award! Congrats @Al Tahan on the incredible find!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Wow....I really don’t know what to say (type hah ;) ). I literally found that fossil on December 29th!! Great lesson in its not over till it’s over lol. I also had a nice stroke of luck. Right place right time. I’ve labored over Eurypterids in the past and I researched ways to look for them at nausea ....an obsession you could say. I’ve cut my finger to the bone and left an outcrop only to lose my exposed Phelps member to someone else........basically I’ve lost my battles hunting Eurypterids and this kinda felt like “finally I got a good one!”. 

Everyone on the forum has been very generous and I really appreciate that. I’ve kinda had a few years of bottled up fossil fever and I finally have joined the forum to get it all out of my system lol. I hope to try and make a positive impact on the forum and eventually contribute to the continuation of this great “virtual hangout”.....all about fossils!! 

With that I’ll end it here but I will add a few photos with things that I was able to learn from this specimen by staring at it more!

Al:trilo:

• I found this Informative 4

After looking closer...you can see this highly flattened molt kinda has some layers to it.

this shows teeth on the right mouth plate and a faint sex appendage is visible.8FCC9FF5-2E45-4125-A1DC-A728825AFC69.thumb.jpeg.a0f822aa53018ccb11d87ceb003ee022.jpeg

It’s amazing how much anatomy can be seen when you look close at the details...23F76F77-1DB5-4E3D-8E73-5AE1FD9B2F8D.thumb.jpeg.b7d5cb937ab35cad6f762548648599cb.jpeg

swimming paddle and balancing leg look really detailed.0DFBF086-534F-4724-9CC8-8C3294FE9423.thumb.jpeg.3e5b241b500988fd36addfaab9da3b48.jpeg

I was also a fan of the telson up close....that would have hurt!F52F8EF2-71F2-4A6C-A3A9-117489CA6E26.thumb.jpeg.8717b6cbb553d56bdeeb87649172f134.jpeg

This is all that was preserved of the ornamentation on this Eurypterid. Still I was stoked when I noticed it lol. 

I like your jokes Kane haha!

Thats all I promise :) 

Thank you everyone