Possible eurypterid fossil.

James_R_V

I went fossil hunting at a Aberlemno quarry in Forfar a couple of weeks back and found what I think is the tail of a eurypterid.

I am just wondering if anyone could tell me if I am right? The quarry has been known to produce eurypterid fossils in the past.

20190127_230657.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I lean towards eurypterid.  The segments seem to overlap slightly, and they are a bit offset (not all in a perfectly straight line.  These features seem to weigh against an orthoconic nautiloid to me.  I think the specimen is more 3D (less flattened) than the eurypterids found in the Bertie Formation, and perhaps this contributes to the cephalopod appearance.

Welcome to the Fossil Forum, by the way.  I was initially confused by your location, as Brechin is a well known fossil site in Ontario Canada.  There is also a Forfar in Ontario, but it is a tiny hamlet, really just a crossroads, and there is no quarry nearby.  I did not know there is a Brechin in the UK until just now.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Forfar eurypterid localities from:

Braddy, S.J. 2000

Eurypterids from the Early Devonian of the Midland Valley of Scotland.

Scottish Journal of Geology, 36(2):115-122

image.thumb.png.17fcfad73b950ec785492641e838986e.png

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I lean towards eurypterid.  The segments seem to overlap slightly, and they are a bit offset (not all in a perfectly straight line.  These features seem to weigh against an orthoconic nautiloid to me.  I think the specimen is more 3D (less flattened) than the eurypterids found in the Bertie Formation, and perhaps this contributes to the cephalopod appearance.

Don

I agree with Don. Also, I don't believe there are any orthocones in the Old Red Sandstone.

Tarquin