Oreodont Skull - Any Restoration?

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this Oreodont (Leptauchenia) skull that I'm interested in. I don't see any obvious signs of restoration, but wanted to run it by you folks to get some second opinions. Does anyone see any signs of restoration that I may have missed?

Thanks as always!

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3.jpg.55532e6ea34af52a03e248d8b23563b3.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3a.jpg.87b8582f2c21173ab59ca7498c56fd5e.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3b.jpg.713ab90cc8e2a5459fa1c01ec7c7a07d.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3f.jpg.b0ccb02d572a1c6cddc9bd24f8c793f1.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3g.jpg.131583d68f408948075ba46b7fbfc1ad.jpg

I'm not seeing any newer added material here, which is what is commonly done to these to fill in missing bone structure.

Its looking pretty whole to these eyes.

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Im not sure you are going to be able to tell real good resto work with these photos.    Would require hand inspection to really determine what has been done.

@jpc

The top of the nose is definitely restored. Likely some of the sagittal crest and a bit on the tops of the zygomatic arches. Also seems there may have been some work on the incisors and the backs of the mandibles. All very typical areas on this species, and, as leptauchenias go, this is a pretty nice one. Good, clear closeups of these areas would be more definitive.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

The top of the nose is definitely restored. Likely some of the sagittal crest and a bit on the tops of the zygomatic arches. Also seems there may have been some work on the incisors and the backs of the mandibles. All very typical areas on this species, and, as leptauchenias go, this is a pretty nice one. Good, clear closeups of these areas would be more definitive.

Well I never said my eyes were very good! :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Thanks for the input! I can see the area of the nose you're referring to now. Here's a couple more images.

I'm okay with a little restoration if it's done well. I'm more trying to avoid a skull that's heavily restored, like you often see online.

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3c.jpg.741a9bbcbbd7cc6b8d94d397e58463cf.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3e.jpg.1100440112cd99502f31140346212004.jpg

oligocene-age-leptauchenia-oreodont-3d.jpg.300344570995011f9b044940dacdf7f6.jpg

Of course as indicated, there is no substitute for in-hand assessment. Does the seller offer a return option? As others have mentioned, the little guys snoot looks odd to me. Then again I have no direct experience with this small branch of the Oreodont clan. 

All that being said, I like the way it displays. If I were in the market, I would certainly buy it; if the price was right (snolly is notoriously cheap). A good price and the option to return, if initial inspection proved unsatisfactory; would be my triggers to jump.  Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you do buy it, and if there is a return policy, hit it with a black light when you receive it and it will show you anyplace that restoration has been done. For some reason I have a feeling that this thing might light up like a Christmas tree, but that's just my opinion.

It is very rare to find any leptauchenia that does not have significant restoration. I guess they must have tasted better than other oreodon. In my opinion, and I have prepped quite a lot of them, this one seems slightly above average. Price would be a determining factor here. I am leaving for Tucson tomorrow. I know a dealer there who has some really great leptauchenias. I prepped them all so I can give you a very accurate description of any restoration. PM me if you are interested in seeing photos. I am sure, especially at the beginning of the show, that they will be very pricey. 

@JPC

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

wow... two people mentioned me.  I am going to disappoint you two.  While I cannot disagree with the observations on the nose and sagittal crest, it is pretty tough to say for sure in photos.  This specimen does have a lot of colors in it, so any bad paint jobs would be even harder to tell.  It looks like a good specimen and any restoration is not blatant.   

PS... I love Leptauchenia.... so cute.  

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If you weren't so good at what you do, you could live in blissful anonymity like the rest of us. :D

blushing... but did you notice the useless answer I gave?  

nice piece... nose tip and tops of zygs look repaired-- but this type of repair is an enhancement, rather than a detriment, in my opinion. I've never prepped an oreo which did not need some kind of minor work.They must have been delicious! This one appears to have a few "chaw nicks"! Nice dentition...