DanJeavs

Thought this would be an interesting one for anybody overseas, who has never heard of Yorkshire’s Golden Cannonballs. 

Theyre only found in the UK along the Yorkshire coastline. With a 1/15 chance of having something inside, it’s safe to say they can be quite rare, and are always sought after. More often than not, they either contain one, or multiples of Eleganticeras ammonites inside. I’ll never tire of finding them. 

Theyre found in the shake jet rocks, and take hours to polish up the iron pyrite to give them their golden glow of you like. Here’s one I recently prepared. 

30DFF634-5F83-478D-9B4F-2855AE6C3D02.jpeg

D37AC2B4-B4E5-4541-8B1D-691612322807.jpeg

• I found this Informative 17

Amazing!

Hadn't heard of these before - thanks for posting this. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Amazing!

Hadn't heard of these before - thanks for posting this. 

No problem, not really sure why they only appear here, but it’s certainly a pleasure to find. One of the more gruelling preps, that’s one thing for certain. A whole lot of wet and dry haha. 

Just now, aerogrower said:

Always loved these!

They’re brilliant aren’t they. I have a fair few but the manual prep for them is exhausting 

Just now, Darktooth said:

Beautiful, thanks for sharing this!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed :D wasn’t sure if anybody had posted one before, so thought it’d be interesting for anybody who hasn’t seen one before. 

Wow, that's super cool, and quite lovely. How did you divide the nodule, and how did you know you weren't cutting right through an ammonite? 

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just now, JohnBrewer said:

Nice find! I’ve got a bland grey cannon ball with one ammo and a few bits. I’ve never prepped it, cracked and the ammo was at the right angle. 

@LiamL @Crann

Even the grey ones without any pyrite look great John. Iv seen someone cut one into a box shape before which looked pretty cool, if I had the tools I’d do it myself. 

1 minute ago, DanJeavs said:

Even the grey ones without any pyrite look great John. Iv seen someone cut one into a box shape before which looked pretty cool, if I had the tools I’d do it myself. 

That’s a cool idea. Sadly my (tile) saw won’t cut it. A marble maybe!

9 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

That’s a cool idea. Sadly my (tile) saw won’t cut it. A marble maybe!

Most likely, I looked into getting a lapidary one, but they’re really expensive and don’t really have the space to put one anywhere 

1 minute ago, DanJeavs said:

Most likely, I looked into getting a lapidary one, but they’re really expensive and don’t really have the space to put one anywhere 

Yeah, me too. Crazy prices!

4 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That is very interesting. I'm sure that was a lot of rubbing with abrasive!

I didn’t even bother to count the hours. Probably around the 4 hour mark of wet and dry. And then a quick half hour with the pen. If only it was safe to use belt sanders. Some people do use them, but the health complications you can get from them isn’t worth the risk. 

That's a new one on me too... Interesting effect.

I have a 1/2 nodule like this, with (I think) a Harpoceras and a smaller ammo, but never really noticed the outer rind was pyrite before, and who would have thought that you could polish it for a metallic effect?

• I found this Informative 2

Ive seen these years ago and bought a few over the years and sold some, but yeah, these are freakin fantasticly beautiful!!!   I may have one or two somewhere?   I would love to have another one or two.  @DanJeavs

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive seen these years ago and bought a few over the years and sold some, but yeah, these are freakin fantasticly beautiful!!!   I may have one or two somewhere?  I would love to have another one or two.  @DanJeavs

I don’t currently, although next time I find some I’ll happily drop you a message and let you know, of course I’ll have opened them up already, usually there’s no tell if there’s anything in them, and I’d hate to send you one with nothing inside haha. 

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

That's a new one on me too... Interesting effect.

I have a 1/2 nodule like this, with (I think) a Harpoceras and a smaller ammo, but never really noticed the outer rind was pyrite before, and who would have thought that you could polish it for a metallic effect?

It was mind blowing when I first found out about them, especially with them being concentrated to one area which is really odd, and for the fact that almost 100% of the time they’re Eleganticeras. The manual prep is living heck, but worth it for the end product. 

3 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

I don’t currently, although next time I find some I’ll happily drop you a message and let you know, of course I’ll have opened them up already, usually there’s no tell if there’s anything in them, and I’d hate to send you one with nothing inside haha. 

That would be awesome!    Open ones would be fine, perfect even.   Would just need some pictures.  Its not like i need any more prep projects, but these are purty neato fossil concretions and I love concretions of all kiinds.  Thanks man

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

That would be awesome!    Open ones would be fine, perfect even.   Would just need some pictures.  Its not like i need any more prep projects, but these are purty neato fossil concretions and I love concretions of all kiinds.  Thanks man

RB

Not a problem sir. I’ll keep my eyes peeled next weekend. They can be expensive from what I’ve seen sellers put them at, but id also be happy to trade for some unprepared ammonites from out you way :D

3 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

It was mind blowing when I first found out about them, especially with them being concentrated to one area which is really odd, and for the fact that almost 100% of the time they’re Eleganticeras. The manual prep is living heck, but worth it for the end product. 

When you say "concentrated to one area", are you referring to the Yorkshire coastline in general, where all the ammonites are found, or a more specific area? The info I have for mine says Kettleness.

1 minute ago, Wrangellian said:

When you say "concentrated to one area", are you referring to the Yorkshire coastline in general, where all the ammonites are found, or a more specific area? The info I have for mine says Kettleness.

More or less North Yorkshire, Whitby area. You can get them on the Holderness coast I believe. Wether they’ve washed down there from Whitby and lost their pyritic skin is another question. Kettlness can be good, Sandsend has been the one for me though, the amount of empty nodules iv split there is insurmountable