Randomguy1

I recently found these 2 brachiopods in the Pennsylvanian of eastern Kansas, I don’t really know my brachiopods. So could someone tell me what kinds are these? Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Randomguy1

Looks like a rather nice, spiny, productid brachiopod to me! 

Lovely. :wub:

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

possibly Linoproductus sp.

Linoproductus sp..jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'm pretty confident that the first specimen is an Echinaria, likely E. knighti.  The second specimen is too worn for me to be confident in offering an ID.

Don

Echinaria is a good possibility. But there are several other similar genera. Look at Echinoconchus, Pulchratia & Calliprotonia.  I've identified enough Carboniferous brachs to rule out Linoproductus or Antiquatonia.  And there are several species of Echinaria to choose from if the stratigraphy matches.

Try and find a faunal list of known species for the formation and narrow down from there.

21 hours ago, Randomguy1 said:

the Pennsylvanian of eastern Kansas

Are you familiar with Richard Gentile’s book called Rocks and Fossils of the Central United States, with special Emphasis on the Greater Kansas City Area (Univ. of Kansas Dept. of Geology, 2011)?  I have found it to be very useful for the Kansas City area.

Russ

10 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

Are you familiar with Richard Gentile’s book called Rocks and Fossils of the Central United States, with special Emphasis on the Greater Kansas City Area (Univ. of Kansas Dept. of Geology, 2011)?  I have found it to be very useful for the Kansas City area.

Russ

Thanks, I’ll have to check it out. :)

22 hours ago, Randomguy1 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

These may be Echinaria semipunctata .  I have also found some in the KC area.

Russ

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...