VStergios

Need help identifying the following ammonites. Found these fragments in limestone, in the locality Theokafta of the Argolis Peninsula, near the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus (Greece, eastern Peloponnesus). The limestone contains condensed ammonoid beds of the Hallstatt facies (Triassic: Anisian–Ladinian). The size of A is about 8 cm and B is about 6cm (which woyld probably make it about 10-12cm if complete). Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The top one looks like a Gymnites IMO.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Were they all found in the same block with the Sturia from your other post? Please could you show a venter/side picture from B too. A side pic from the other side of A would be good too.

Are there visible lobes somewhere?

15 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

The top one looks like a Gymnites IMO.

I am leaning towards Gymnites or Japonites. Monophyllites it is definitly not.

Maybe you already know this work. If not it will be great for you because you can read Greek.:) I am sure you will find your ammonoids therein.

http://ikee.lib.auth.gr/record/76121/files/gri-2007-599.pdf

On 31/1/2019 at 7:50 PM, andreas said:

Were they all found in the same block with the Sturia from your other post? 

B has only one good side, since the other side is completely covered by limestone, plus both sides of A are identical. The matrix is certainly the same, as for the block it's probably the same but I can't be 100% sure since the fragments originated in boulders probably removed from the site by heavy machinery and put aside for further processing (a work that seems to have been completed years ago). Got a bit of work right now and will be out all day tomorrow, but I'll certainly look at the ammonite descriptions from your link as soon as possible. Once again a million thanks for the helpful tips and material!