Globidens Tooth composite?

ReptileTooth

Hi,

What are your opinions on this tooth?  Overall the crown of it:

Thanks

P1090306.JPG

P1090305.JPG

P1090304.JPG

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

17 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Crown looks nice. Only missing a small piece of enamel at the bottom. Root looks like it was probably composited. 

Thanks for the reply, what does indicate a root composition?

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

On the bottom photo where the root goes from skinny to fat, there appears to be a band all around the tooth that does not match the color above and below it. Not positive about this being a composite though. 

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks good to me.:)

No red alarms, loud sirens?:ighappy:

Jokes aside I asked the seller for more pics, we'll see!

These teeth are far from rare here. 

In fact they often use Globidens teeth to fake Mosasaur jaws and other bits and pieces because they can't get rid of them all. 

But with a nice genuine root like I think that is, they're much more unusual.

They wouldn't fake a crown, but a root, perhaps.  

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

20 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

These teeth are far from rare here. 

In fact they often use Globidens teeth to fake Mosasaur jaws and other bits and pieces because they can't get rid of them all. 

But with a nice genuine root like I think that is, they're much more unusual.

They wouldn't fake a crown, but a root, perhaps.  

I see, I was thinking in reverse terms ,that they could have put a crown that doesn't belong on that root, due that little broken enamel.

It's hard to find similar specimen on the net as mostly are more obvious composition with sand or totally different color at crown base.

3 minutes ago, ReptileTooth said:

I see, I was thinking in reverse terms ,that they could have put a crown that doesn't belong on that root, due that little broken enamel.

It's hard to find similar specimen on the net as mostly are more obvious composition with sand or totally different color at crown base.

I think that's just broken enamel. 

Though I guess they could stick a tooth onto a real root of something else, but can't see they would with this species. 'Improve' a partial root,for sure, but I can't see red flags here. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The broken enamel near the base of the crown is a bit of a red flag. I would lean towards this being a composite. But these photos aren't clear enough. Much better closeups are needed to make a proper judgement. With just these photos I would say it's not worth the gamble.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

10 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

The broken enamel near the base of the crown is a bit of a red flag. I would lean towards this being a composite. But these photos aren't clear enough. Much better closeups are needed to make a proper judgement. With just these photos I would say it's not worth the gamble.

Thanks, still waiting for answer from the seller, if he doesn't  provide better pics, I think I'll skip it.